GreaseSpot Cafe

Before faith came

I finally had Galatians 3:23 explained to me in a way that makes sense. "But before FAITH came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the FAITH which should afterwards be revealed." The word faith is an occurence of the figure of speech metonomy whereby "faith" is put for the subject of true faith (or believing, if you will), Jesus Christ. It's not some special "faith" that hadn't come yet, it was Christ who was yet to appear. The same figure is used in v.25 (and perhaps v.24, though I think here that "faith" actuallly means the right believing that Christ made available).

George

Or you could go orthodox on the verse, applying the verse to the individual as opposed to a sweeping statement of dispensations. Meaning, for each of us, before faith came (to us) we were kept under the schoolmaster, subject to its requirements, and falling short of the same, to its dire curses & pronouncements.

That's an interesting alternative, although the context seems to indicate a general condition of mankind before Christ's appearance, rather than an individual state prior to acceptance of Christ. Still, v.27 does refer to baptism, which is an individual event, not a collective one. It merits further study.

George

It should be noted that in the Greek, there's a definite article before the word "faith" the first time (both times, actually). If this were English, that would support what George is saying. Further study, if honest, can only help, so study on.

Thanks for the note, Raf. I looked at my Greek text, but I didn't pay attention to the article (a mistake I don't usually make). Indeed, "THE faith" would tend to substantiate the idea that "the faith" is put by metonomy for Jesus Christ, though it could also be argued that "THE faith" would mean the one, correct faith, which still would come to each of us individually.

George

God

Beloved GeorgeStGeorge

thanks I enjoy ypur understanding and The Evan differ view and Raf addon

But what if both are right or what if the bible was wrote were the Belivers seen one dept of it greateness while the unbeliever only saw surface meaning

And they we are the views of them who live under the law and the ones still making up their minds

It like when I see a piece of wood I just see a piece of wood but when a carpenter see it he may see a chair that he can make from the wood

You see the bible is just words under our spirit the Christ in us shows us its greatness more like the wood is just wood until the carpenter shows us what it can become or its deep value

just talking our loud

with love and an holy kiss Roy