GreaseSpot Cafe

end program run dll 32 exe or something like that

excathedra

rundll32.exe is a necessary program for your computer - it helps Windoze to do what it needs to do.

If it is not shutting down normally, then something funny is going on.

Go to an antivirus site and do a search on rundll32.exe, and see what it comes up with.

Excathedra, that means that your computer has only 6 more months to live, maybe less (just kidding).

It seems to me that an AdWare program has sneaked into your machine and it is messing with your rundll32.exe. Zapp it with an anti adware software if you have one. If not, then, download a free copy from the URL below. After downloading the free application, click on, “Check for updates now,” which it will give you the latest software. Thereafter, do a scan and zapp those critters. Consider buying this type of software if you want optimal scanning. Good luck. Let me know if this helps. Sometimes, I kick my computers, and it does help. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Ad-aware 6.0 build 181

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet

I’m so sorry you are having problems with your computer.

Have you done a scan with ad-aware and zapped the critters?

After that, restart your computer and shut it down again to see if shuts down correctly.

There’s a link on the interface of Ad-aware for updates, click on it. It’s called, “Check for updates now.” I’m only familiar with the free version, which I already provided a link to. If during the process of downloading the ad-aware a dialog box is prompted and ask you if you want an update, say yes. Good luck.

dear brady,

it tells me "this program is not responding" meaning the good one (per steve) What’s the name of it. Was it freeware or you purchase it?

should i still do what you say ? YES, it won’t hurt your operating system.

Edited by Guest

There is something in your configuration or somewhere that is causing that to hang.

If it is a virus or something virus-like that is causing that (which happened to me), then Symantec or Norton will have info on their sites about it.

Also, is your computer completely updated? that is, go to "Tools", "Windows Update", and every patch and install is updated on your machine? That could take care of it too.

Weird… Have you kicked your computer? I was kidding about the kicking thingy icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

If you still have the same problem after following Steve!’s instructions (ALL of it), THEN, back up the registry (restore) to a date when your computer was healthy. Reconfiguration, recalibration, and resetting your factory settings/specifications might help. It won’t hurt to try it. You can always go back (follow the steps below) and “undo” the last restoration. Good Luck.

Go to Start, then, to Run, write the word “restore” (without the quotation marks) inside the field (text box), click OK and the restore program will be prompted. Thereafter, click twice on the icon called System Restore Application (XP) or RSTRUI (ME). From there chose “restore my computer to an earlier time.” Go to the next phase and choose a restore point saved on the calendar (date/time of restore operation), thus, backing your registry to that date (you might need to go back couple months). See if this helps. Clock is ticking… icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Brady

Sounds virus related to me. This might help (copied from some site.):

Rundll32.exe Errors:

Rundll32.exe is a Windows program that executes other 32bit programs:

Rundll32.exe itself is most likely not the cause but it could be corrupted:

First do this to see if a startup program may be causing it.

Click on Start

Run

Type in Msconfig and press enter Click on the Startup tab

Now scroll down and see if you see Rundll32.exe listed.

Be sure to maximize the window so you can see the complete path for the startup entries.

You may need to look to the right portion of the screen to see the rundll32.exe entry.

Ignore the "Load Power Profile" entries, they won't be the cause of this.

If you are able to locate other entries that are being started using rundll32.exe, remove the check mark next to it or them and click on Apply.

Follow the prompts to restart.

Be sure to scan for a virus or if you don't have a virus program, go here and run a free online virus scan. Some viruses are known to replace the Windows copy of rundll32.exe with an infected version.

Ok, Ex, I have something you can try. Go to Start / Run and type in msconfig. From there go to the startup tab, On the left look for any entries that begin with rundll32.

I bet if you uncheck that entry your problem may be solved. But Please list the full command or path that the runddll gives. It is located in the column just to the right. You might have to expand the column to read the full command. Please post it here.

In other words, what program or file is the rundll function running or opening at STARTUP?

Maybe it is a piece of spyware or virus related. If you uncheck it then it will not start up in the first place and therefore will not hang on shutdown.

On the other hand. It may be something that IS required or needed in your computer. For example I have a runddll that gives this:

rundll32.exe irprops.cpl., BluetoothAuthentication Agent

What the hell does that mean! I wish they would make these things understandable in plain English for us average non-geek types!

It obviously has something to do with my Wireless Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and I know CPL stands for Control Panel. So I know that I will not need to uncheck that for now.

But if you uncheck a rundll item and it does not solve your problem, you can always go back and put the checkmark back on the item to activate it on Startup again.

John: CPL applications are not directly-executable Windows programs. The "L" in ".cpl" stands for library, just like the second "L" in "DLL" does. (CPL=Control Panel Library, DLL=Dynamic-Link Library. All CPLs are really DLLs.)

Most programs have a Main function, one that starts executing when the program starts. The Main function calls all the other functions of the program as needed, like FileOpen, FileSave, PrintReport, and so on.

A library is the same as a program, except that it has no "main" function. It's just a chunk of routines that other running programs can access so they don't have to write their own code to access some functionality, they can just share it out of the library.

Of course, if it has no Main Function, then you can't just double-click on a library and have it do anything. Some other program has to load it into RAM when it needs a function out of it, (dynamic-linking) or else a kind of placeholder program has to load the library then just sit idle, doing nothing but holding the library open.

RunDLL32.exe is one of those placeholders. For functions that several other programs might need to access in a hurry, it's worth taking up memory and using a RunDLL to keep the library "hot" in RAM instead of having to be loaded off the hard drive every time.

That's why it takes so frickin' long to boot up. Most all of Windows is nothing but a huge series of DLLs that get initialized at the start to speed up the computer afterwards.

Well said Zixar. Thank you for the comprehensive post. I like to think of them as extensions, a term commonly used by many in the IT field, even more so in the Macintosh industry, although different format. Good input.

Brady

Edited by Guest

Learn something new everyday. Zixar you should teach. Or own your own business and become a multimillionaire, Ha! Thank you.

Well, back to our beloved Excathedra. What's up? Try unchecking that like I said? Won't hurt anything will it guys, to try what I am suggesting.

I like to try and have as little as possible running in msconfig, startup. Damn! I've seen some folks with dozens of things in there running at startup. One on a friends computer recently was called BLASTER.EXE

Yikes!

Go here, it is the best! Startups Full list

Just type in the application showing in Startup and this site puts it in plain English like it should be in the first place.

Edited by Guest

igotout, first of all thank you and you other guys

i did what you said and it worked but now i get a message all the time telling me i changed something, do i want to change it back, or whatever. ha!

anyway, i have 14 things in startup when i run msconfig. i wanted to copy and paste them to show you but i can't figure out how.

okay, three of my items concern rundll32

hang on i'm going to look at them and tell you the items and their commands:

NvCpl-

RUNDLL32.EXE C:WINDOWSSystem32NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

NVMCTRAY-

RUNDLL32.EXE C:WINDOWSSystem32NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit

bridge-

rundll32.exe "C:WINDOWSDownloaded Prgoram Filesbridge.dll",Load

well what do you think? is the bridge thing a dog?

?

Edited by Guest

The first two are harmless. They're libraries for your graphics card, which was probably made by NVidia. (Hence, the "NV" at the start of the two.) One's a control panel to let you change things like graphic resolution for games.

The bridge thing I'm not sure on. If you're running WinXP, it may be that it's bridging two network adapters, one of which may not be cooperating. I used to get autobridging between my Ethernet and FireWire cards, which was unnecessary, so I disabled the bridged connection. If you have something like a USB modem for cable or DSL, and a built in Ethernet port on your computer, it could be trying to bridge those two unsuccessfully.

Or the bridge could be something else entirely... Sorry, but it's hard to tell long-distance!