GreaseSpot Cafe

Wanna Help Spend My Money?

ChasUFarley

I NEED a new computer but want to get the most bang for the buck. My old one is NOT upgradable - it's a POS and about 6 years old. I'm open to bulding one OR buying something already built (not necessairly a bundle, tho)

It has to be a PC (not a MAC).

It has to be upgradable (memory, processor, etc.) later on.

I have my computer on about 30 hours (in use) per week.

Here's what I use my computer for:

• lots of graphic design - scanning and re-touching photos, creating presentations, word processing (I have 5 word processors that I use), designing data bases, doing mail merges, etc. This is about 70% of the time it's on.

• internet use - we have DSL. I'd like to have a wireless connection. Ditto for networking, later on.

• other uses - some games (even my toddler's CD-ROMS don't work on the old machine), some CD burning (must have a CD-R). I would like to do more with MP-3's/CD's, etc.

What do you recommend?

THANKS BUNCHES!

Dell is good. Lots of selections. Get at least a 3.0 processor, get a 128 MB graphics card. Stick with Nvidia brand graphics.

Get at least 512MB RAM. CRT monitors are much cheaper (and better) than the cool flat ones. So unless you need more space, get the big kind but get a good one. Get no less than a 19". I prefer 21". Make sure it has the aperture grill technology.

Don't get Dell's crappy speakers. Just order it with none. Then go out and get some from Best Buy. Get some good ones that will surround you with sound. I don't wanna hear all the excuses for buying crappy speakers! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Get at least a 12OGB hard drive. (Again, no excuses.) Does not have to be SATA but it does not really matter.

Once you get your Dell, uninstall all the unnecesary software and other junk they put in there.

Don't install old games on a modern computer or you are asking for trouble. Go out and buy or "download" the latest versions of the games you like.

Just my opinions.

John R.

Good suggestions - I've been looking at Dell and it seems that people either swear by them or swear about them.

I already have some great speakers but they're waaayyy out of place with the old clunker machine I have them hooked up to. (Also, another reason why I don't care for bundles - they give you crap speakers, keyboards and mice that cost them very little!)

quote:
    Originally posted by igotout:

Dell is good. Lots of selections. Get at least a 3.0 processor, get a 128 MB graphics card. Stick with Nvidia brand graphics.

ATI is good too, and in some ways technologically better. However, the best way to tell is to look into what software you'd want to use. I use ATI mainly, but either one will work.

quote:

Get at least 512MB RAM.

Agreed, and the more the better.

quote:

CRT monitors are much cheaper (and better) than the cool flat ones. So unless you need more space, get the big kind but get a good one. Get no less than a 19". I prefer 21". Make sure it has the aperture grill technology.

CRT may be cheaper and brighter, but LCD is much easier on your eyes. I'll never buy another CRT, and I don't use one at home, and prefer to use my laptop at work. If you value your eyes and plan to use your computer for long periods of time, it may be worth it to get an LCD screen.

quote:

Don't get Dell's crappy speakers. Just order it with none. Then go out and get some from Best Buy. Get some good ones that will surround you with sound. I don't wanna hear all the excuses for buying crappy speakers! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

An alternative is that if you have a good stereo system in the same room, you can connect it to that too, providing you will not have problems with people watching TV or something while you use the PC. If you can't do that, getting the better speakers is a definite plus.

quote:

Get at least a 12OGB hard drive. (Again, no excuses.) Does not have to be SATA but it does not really matter.

Agreed. The bigger the better.

quote:

Once you get your Dell, uninstall all the unnecesary software and other junk they put in there.

Agreed on this also.

quote:

Don't install old games on a modern computer or you are asking for trouble. Go out and buy or "download" the latest versions of the games you like.

I would say to look at the system requirements for it. If the box says that it runs on Windows 2000 and you're on XP, it should work fine. Older games can work, but it depends on a lot of factors that may or may not be worth dealing with. If it runs in MS-DOS, then most likely it's not worth even trying.

Also, I'd throw in to get a good DVD+RW or DVD-RW. You will probably want to either burn CDs or DVDs at some point, and the prices on the burners have come down quite a bit so it's worth it. Plus, it's the best way to back up your hard drive short of buying expensive tapes and tape drives. CDs are the new floppy disks when it comes to backing up hard disks. They work fine, if you want to load a sequence of 200 disks if a failure occurs.

As far as wireless access goes, I'd get 802.11b equipment. All of the brands should be fairly compatible but I tend to use Linksys. You need a wireless router, plus a wireless network card for each computer that you wish to use. I prefer the internal ones, but they do make USB ones that are slower. You also will want to check to see how to set it up on your home network, because most ISPs frown on you setting up things like that, because it allows you to bypass their more expensive way of charging you for their home networking crap. If you name your DSL company I might be able to tell you whether or not they would allow you to have it.

The wireless networking is great with a laptop, but you have to keep in mind that laptops often suck when it comes to their battery life. I have a Sony POS that just shuts off without warning, so I have to leave at least the power plugged in at all times. With a desktop it's good if you can't have your computer near your networking equipment, but otherwise it's not very useful.

Something else that I reccomend and like are wireless keyboards and mice. The less wires you have to deal with the better.

I was sold on ATI as well but am back to Nvidia. I was shocked to learn that ATI does not support horizontal spanning across dual monitors. No one can understand why they fall behind in that.

Furthermore no window transparency features in ATI software. Nvidia kicks their butts on features.

No more ATI for me.... at least for now.

Problem with flat panels is their cost. Have you priced a 21" flat compared to a 21" CRT? Triple the cost or more isn't it? For something that is not as good really.

But soon I believe the flats will catch up on quality. Then I intend to have dual or triple 21" flats depending on graphics cards offerings at the time.

I mean, who would NOT enjoy their coolness and smallness factor if you can afford it.

THe BEST cordless mice and keyboards are just now getting to the place where they are as responsive as corded ones for gaming. If gaming is not in your future then sure.... go cordless. Makes sense. Just be sure to keep a corded mouse and keyboard around in case you have trouble. They can be funny when it comes to troubleshooting ot allowing you to go into BIOS, etc. Nothing worse than booting up only to have no action on your mouse or keyboard. Happens with cordless, never happens with corded devices.

I like external USB2 or firewire devices where possible. For example, I just got Sony's new DVD / CD burner, the external mode. That way I can take it where I want and use it on other computers. And when it is not in use, it is not inside the hardware configuration of my computer as internal devices are. Therefore one less thing that could conflict or go wrong. It does it all, so I do not even need a cd or DVD burner present in my computer anymore. I just plug it in only when needed. How often do you burn CD's or DVD's anyway? Depends on the person I guess or the lifestyle. Laptops probably good to have an internal DVD so you can watch movies while traveling.

I just built a computer recently and it was not all it was cracked up to be. It was hard work and I did not save that much. Next one (soon) I am just going to pay the price of someone else's labor.

I have my eye on this awesome machine. You should see it in dark lighting! Click here:

Crystal Clear lighted machine

Edited by Guest

Nice looking ride, Chas. I have that same processor speed in 2 Dell's I got around Christmas, one for me, one one my son got, both with 512k memory. He's heavy on gaming and music, runs like a clock for his stuff. I'm running some digital audio programs, Photoshop 6 abd 7, Dreamweaver MX, MSSQL server and SQL and Access database app's. Scanner and digital photo uploads. I'm very happy with the results. (you probably already know this, but if you use Photoshop, I've found it helps a LOT to set Preferences and designate the amount of RAM you want to use. I think it defaults to 50%, which usually works good but when I'm doing a lot of image work, I'll crank it up to 60% and I always start Photoshop first so it can get what it needs.)

Flat screens - great space savers. I have one, and it cleaned up the desk immediately.

The larger hard drives, non-partitioned, are good. One C drive is perfect.

Just remember to run XP's defrag program regularly to keep things in order and it will keep your speed up. I do it weekly.

These last two are Dell's and I'm very pleased. I've already added an additional CD burner, and a wireless network and they're very easy to do upgrades to. I got Linksys Wireless 2.4 router and receiver and the setup was fast, and so far have been dependable. Cheap too, after rebates the whole setup for two PC's ran about 125 bucks.

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

Edited by Guest

The weak link on that system is the integrated sound, video and speakers. But it may be just fine for most users. Even integrated components have come a long way.

Try to find out what brand of mouse and what kind of keyboard they are using and even what kind of motherboard they are using.

You gotta make sure you have easy access to USB 2 plugs and it is also nice to have a firewire plug as well. If not, you can get a USB2 / Firewire expansion PCI card.

Speaking of which, is there room to add a card or two in case you need to? For example, lets say your integrated video or sound went bad or you decided you wanted something better. Do you have the capability on that motherboard to install an AGP card or a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 to take over?

The other weak link is that is only a 15' monitor! That is very tiny by todays standards. 19" is standard these days. I prefer 21" and larger.

Keep in mind, that monitor will not look quite as good as a larger and cheaper CRT monitor. And Flat ones can be damaged easier than the glass ones. Kids can ruin them. (But you can't beat the space saving and coolness features of the flat ones.)You might want to see if you can actually go somewhere to see the monitor quality before buying. Maybe at one of those Gateway Country stores.

I am puzzled by your choice. Why not this instead

Gateway 510G Gaming PC for around $1,000

Edited by Guest

igotout-- good points you've made there.

I have seen one of these babies in person - one of the tech guys at work has one. I like the all-in-one feature - no tower, really. It's nice to work with - but then again, I work for a non-profit & any computer under 5 years old is a treat to work with.

Yes, the monitor is tiny... I was mostly into the large hard drive, tho. It does have 2 USB ports on it. I only have a camera that I plug in at this time - but still that's not something I'd really considered.

I haven't really considered a "gaming" machine at the time because the one's I've looked at (Dell, etc.) had little memory - and the ones with memory were expen$ive.

Thanks again for the input - I'm going to check this out some more

quote:
    Originally posted by ChasUFarley:

What's the difference between: DVD+RW or DVD-RW?

Also, Dell is offering a duel CD-RW package - two internal drives - what's the point?

Can you burn music CD's on a DVD burner drive?

To answer your questions:

1) It's just a standard, but the only difference is whether you buy ones marked DVD+RW or DVD-RW at the store. Both will work in your computer, DVD player, and Playstation 2.

2) Sounds sort of stupid to me. I can't think of a reason to need two writers. It is good to have one CD-RW and one CDROM, because then you can burn from the reader straight to the writer.

3) Yes. A DVD burner has all the abilities of a CD burner plus the DVD stuff.

The +RW vs -RW standard is about how the data is physically laid down on the disk.

There is a competition between manufactures not unlike the old betamax vs VHS videotape competition of the past. Its not clear what will end up being the "standard" yet.

Not only is there +RW and -RW there is DVD-Ram and DVD-ROM

Backers of DVD+RW, besides HP, include Koninklijke Philips Electronics, Sony, Yamaha, Thomson Multimedia, and Dell Computer.

Backers of DVD-RW is Panasonic and Compact computers.

Backers of DVD-Ram is also Panasonic.

DVD-RAM, allows you to record and view what you recorded at the same time.

You can also create play lists of the material on the disc and edit and reorder any way you like, then play it back. Nice feature But incompatibility with existing DVD-ROM drives and home entertainment DVD players. You would have to convert it to another standard.

DVD+RW is compatible with home DVD players, allows data as well as DVD recording.

DVD-RW doesn't include the defect management and is said to be less usable for data files. (according to the +RW folks) Some compatibility issues with some DVD+RW drives from what I get from some of the forums.

Slashdot/Dell Throws In For The +R/+RW Standard

So where is this going? If you are building a new box get a burner that burns both -RW and +RW

HP Drives DVD+RW Standard

Recordable DVD Wars Heat Up With New Entries

-----------------------------------------------

..The early bird gets the worm..the second mouse gets the cheese!

Edited by Guest

That's not exactly true about the PS2, P-Mosh. My Playstation2 will read DVD+R and DVD-R, but not DVD-RW or DVD+RW. My old DVD player would only read DVD-R.

Most burners nowadays are dual format (both + and -) so you can experiment with whatever media your other DVD players will digest and stick to burning on that.

• 1 month later...

I GOT IT!

HP Pavilion a530n

3200+ AMD Athelon 64 Processor

1024 MB DDR SDRAM memory (it came with 512 MB but I upgraded it as soon as it came out of the box for just another $40!)

200 GB hard drive

DVD+RW/CD-RW

CD ROM frive

NVIDA GeForce FX5200XT AGP 8X Graphics Card w/ 128 MB DDR video memory & TV out

Built in front access 9-in1 media card reader, high speed USB 2.0 and FireWire Ports

After rebates and including the price of the upgrade - $895! NO KIDDING! (It wasn't an open box deal, either).

I got a 19" CRT monitor - ViewSonic, UltraBrite.

The photo printer was free.

I added a wireless internet connection to it and a router from the old computer - so I'm networked now with by former beast.

I also got a battery back up - it's a monster and the toughest thing to set up - the rest was easy - I was AMAZED at how simple the upgrades and other plug ins were to install!!!

All in all, I'm very pleased with my set up and think it's going to make my work and social life much more fun (I do both via my computer!)

MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP WITH THIS! Your posts made me do more homework and think about all the possibilities!

HUGS TO YOU ALL!

(((techies))))

Sounds like you got a nice setup Chas...

...just thought I'd throw this tidbit out there: If any of you have 'Fry's Electronics' in your area (and you're looking to upgrade screen size on your monitor)... they usually have refurbed 21" Dell Trinitrons... for $249.

Those things are $599 new. They're really nice, got two of 'em... sometimes they're on display, sometimes you have to ask... the one here just keeps them in the back most of the time... they get them in "regularly" the store told me... so if they're not in stock, check back...