GreaseSpot Cafe

Don't Laugh!!! Have a ? re. downloading a BetaMax tape

act2

Ok, everyone, please don't laugh. I got out my old BetaMax VCR the other day so I could burn a couple of tapes onto DVD's...(one is a coffeehouse in 1986, the other is the music challenge the same year) but lo and behold, it kept eating up my tapes.

I have searched the internet some to try to find an adapter but to no avail.

I called a local VCR repair shop and they dont fix BetaMax anymore. Can anyone help?

The decisions we make today form our future.

Being a Betmax fan myself I won't be laughing.

It's very unfortunate that this superior system was beaten by VHS. But it does mean that service and repairs become considerably harder to get. I have a couple of Betamax machines that need fixing. I have been given details of a place in Manchester UK that does it but they would be PAL versions, not that this would affect the tape transport mechanics.

A site that may be of help is:

Betamax Palsite

For general information and has loads of links you can take a look at.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

You might try to find another Betamax VCR on eBay. Probably cheaper than what a repair shop would charge just to look at your other one.

[a little later...]

I just checked. There are several up for auction on eBay, from $8.00 on up to over $100.

Edited by Guest

Yes ebay is a good site.

However watch the wording - any indication that "slight attention" or "heads need cleaning" means avoid like the plague.

But good ones can go for fabulous prices - one over here which was in immaculate condition, and still with box went for over twice its original price.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

Thanks for all the info. I did take the BetaMax apart the other day to see how it worked and how it was eating up the tapes.

I will pull up the website again that you gave me Trefor when I get home. I think with their help, I can fix it myself.

(I just need it to copy 2 tapes... hate to spend on another one, when that is all I need it for.)

Probably a stupid suggestion, but have you cleaned the heads? Several times? I had an old VHS deck that I wanted to keep and it kept fouling out tapes. Got a new one. Kept the old one and kept poking at it to try and bring it back. Finally completed about 5 cleans with a simple tape cleaner, starting stopping and voilah. Got a few more months out of it. You might also try a manual clean of the heads if a tape just won't load.