GreaseSpot Cafe

Arrested for a virus???

ChasUFarley

My boss' son got arrested this week for downloading a virus at his school which disabled the computer he downloaded it to. He downloaded the application a couple of days before the virus was discovered. The reason for the download was to show the guidance councelor & secretary (who were present) a remote PC application (much like PC Anywhere) and how it worked. The download came from the internet and it seems there's nothing set up to keep kids from downloading anything at anytime! (He said there's kids downloading games all the time.)

The school's network administator alerted the pricipal to the virus when the PC that the kid was on was disabled. The school principal suspended the kid for one day but as the kid & his mother (my boss) were leaving the school the police arrested him. The network administrator for the school also contacted the police about the issue. The kid's laptop was taken by the police, as well (even though the laptop wasn't used for the download.)

The kid isn't a bad kid - he's 15 years old and is pretty smart about computers. He's the one that the teachers go to for answers about stuff but it seems this virus is something that the security application didn't pickup.

Did the network administrator really have grounds for calling the police & placing him under arrest?

Any suggestions?

well, I don't think anything should have happened because apparently he had permission to download since there were teachers with him...if he gets arrested why don't they arrest the teachers too? Now that would be interesting.

If I was the parent I would fight this one!!!

If they actually slapped the cuffs on him,

I suspect there's part of the story you didn't hear....

It reminds me of all the times twi claims to be the innocent one who

is being harassed unjustly by bitter people...

Otherwise, even a lukewarm lawyer could win this one.