GreaseSpot Cafe

Windows Service Pack 2?

WordWolf

A guru I ain't- It came down the pipe as an automatic update and I let it install on my laptop.

The update seemed to be ok- suppossedly one big thing is that the windows firewall does not protect from out going activity from your computers. Also if you already have a firewall (I use zone alarm which blocks both ways) you should disable the windows firewall so the two firewalls don't conflict.

there are news stories about flaws. but what do you expect from windows anyway.?

I found another Gotcha- The security settings- accessible by clicking on the little red shield with a x on it may need to be set to allow communication with other devices on your intranet- other stuff in your home network.

I have a printer hooked up to a wireless print server that all my computers can use. I had to put its address in as trusted before it would work again.

Example- http://192.168.1.246/

You may have to do this to enable file sharing and printer sharing. (One reason I use the print server is that I don’t need to enable sharing on a computer so this is supposedly more secure)

Doubtful it causes computers to crash. People tend to blame when they have a PC problem.

Just like I do. Ha! Most of the time it is something I did.

I hope Microsoft is prepared to be blamed again for a lot of probs that may happen after SP 2. I would rather blame the government.

But mostly SP2 appears to be agood thing, especially for those who take no security precautions at all behind their broadband connections.