GreaseSpot Cafe

Kill Bill

I saw it tonight, and I liked it. My wife hated it, but she's not big into Tarantino films or what he tried to do with this anyway.

Basically, it reminded me of a mix between a western, Snatch, anime, and an old kung-fu movie. I have to say it was the best and worst movie I've seen in a long time.

It's probably 75% killing and maiming, so if you don't like blood, don't watch this.

I usually have to be in "A" mood to watch Tarantino films... I guess I just don't have what it takes to know "great film making"... I can enjoy them for what they are...

but I usually end up also (saying to myself as I leave the theater) "that guy read too many comic books and watched too many videos when he worked at that video store"...

... I've been here and I've been there and I've been in between...

• 2 weeks later...

I did see the girls (in the beginning) doing Q.T...you know the way he writes those lines like he's doing the talking..lol.

I won't give anything away...BUT

At the end...(in the Drive-In, read this and weep suckas)...I yelled "NO!!!!"

You know why...

That movie went very fast ~ like the other 3 ~ well, what I did see of Reservior Dogs isn't much if you consider I watched it thru a sweater...lolol.

You know, I have never really liked any QT films, yet I am always intrigued to see what he's up to this time just because he gets soooooo much hype.

I've seen Pulp Fiction, Four Rooms, True Romance, and Dusk Til Dawn. I had to leave during certain scenes in Pulp Fiction. Once the vampires came out in Dusk Til Dawn, well I just couldn't watch anymore; it made me nautious.

Can someone really explain what it is with the cult following on QT? Is he really talented, or does his movies cause us to associate with our dark side?

One other movie I saw that was QT-ish was with Mel Gibson called "Payback". It had that same darkness where the good guy is really a bad guy (just not as bad as the real bad guys in the movie). icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> Now I better sign off before I confuse you guys like I am. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects.

Edited by Guest

I thought he did something on R..D's..perhaps I was wrong...hmmmm

Pulp Fiction ~ was just that...a type of film made in the genre of vintage paperbacks and comics that were popular around the 30's...a cool film...in the way I see these films ~ for performances ~ great performances by actors we all know and love.

The draw, for actors, to play in QT's fims...grows with each new project.

For the millions who enjoy this sort of thrill, like so many popular thriller~suspense dramas in the past...QT brings a dialogue and flavor to his writing that is distinctly 'his own'.

When he becomes so enourmously popular that he is copied (style and content), for the sheer money-making aspects, it will become more obvious to many why his films are enjoyed to this extent.

It's definately not for everyone..for sure.

Some people don't like to tango...but for some, it's the only dance in town.

It's really just a cool, mindless, artistic diversion...that sometimes makes you think..or not!

Best thing though..it gave John Travolta a new spring...in his career, and Samuel Jackson, as well ... and kicked their film credibility into overdrive...

For that, QT is embraced by film geeks like myself...

It's not that this stuff is meant to be better, just different.

Ginger Tea

I thought for a second I'd have to 're-work' my film experiences/history ~ whew!

That film had such a gory opening ~ I thought ~ 'what am I doing here?'

lol

But, as I recall, asking the person next to me, 'what's happening now?' got me through 'being there' (which just reminded me of a Peter Sellers movie, where Chauncey was the main character, NOW that plays much better on my mind in comparison) ~

(;

• 5 months later...

Now that it's out on DVD, I finally got a chance to see KBv1. I had read the bootleg of the original script a couple of years ago, and didn't think QT could pull it off successfully.

Depends on how you define "successfully". If you're a Hong Kong action flick/Japanese anime aficionado, this is a four-star picture. You'll catch all the little in-jokes, from the "ShawScope" intro to the Fist-of-the-North-Star blood geysers that accompany every severed appendage.

If you just grew up in the 70s, you'll catch all the little culture jokes, like the "Ironside" theme whenever The Bride is about to unload on one of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, and the irony of "Kaboom" breakfast cereal. (an actual product way back when...)

If you like Quentin Tarantino movies, this has all the standard too-cool-by-half dialogue, although he does go over the top in Lucy Liu's speech to the Yakuza clan leaders.

If you like Uma Thurman, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how tough she can be. She's come a long way since Pulp Fiction.

If none of that appeals to you, you'll hate this film. It's ultra-violent, presented out of sequence again (like Pulp Fiction), and hard to follow at points.

Saw Vol. 2 on Saturday afternoon, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely not "second verse, same as the first." Sure, there's a couple of violent fights, but the characterizations leap to the forefront instead of the chop-socky camp of Vol. 1. (Guess they blew 99.9% of the fake-blood budget on Vol. 1. Thank God.) Uma Thurman and David Carradine give outstanding performances, as does Michael Madsen, (surprisingly) and even Daryl Hannah. Gordon Liu does too, although you'll appreciate him more if you've ever seen one of the dozens of kung fu movies about Pai Mei (old white-haired guy) and the Shaolin massacre. (Look closely--Liu also played Johnny Mo, head of the Crazy 88s in Vol. 1, too.)

Taken together, the two volumes of KB may arguably make a better film than Pulp Fiction. It wouldn't surprise me if Uma got an Oscar nomination for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked Kill Bill

.. Love to see a Woman kick a Mans behind

.. Uma was GREEAAT

Quinton T. is now one of my favorite film makers/writers/producers .... although he wasn't at first.

I think Quinton is an aqcuired taste. You get used to him. At least thats what it is for me.

I loved Reservoir Doggs, Pulp Fiction, Dusk til Dawn, and 4 rooms was O.K.

His Dialogue and Music selection is fascinating and entertaining.

Digi

We watched KBv1 the other night.. finally... my husband rented it and it sat on the shelf for a couple of days before I wanted to sit and watch it.. I wasn't really interested... then I actually liked it. You have to know who Q. T. is and about how he makes a movie or you will not like it. It is good to know there is something behind the gushing blood. My husband said "what is with the blood gushing in every fight scene?" and I told him it is Q. T., there must be something behind it. We just didn't know. Again, if you like Q.T., you should like this movie.

The only reason I didn't get upset about the ending was I knew KBv2 was out and I didn't have to wait long to pick up again..