GreaseSpot Cafe

Dawn of the Dead

A decent "creature feature" flick for a Saturday night. The zombies are certainly more robust in this presentation than the shuffling, lumbering ones in the original 1978 version.

I give it 3 stars.

UPDATE: I just watched the original 70s version the other evening. It's more humorous and goofier than the remake, which I now see (after having seen this for the first time as well) as having mimicked the jittery MTV camera style of the recent English zombie flick, "28 Days".

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

• 2 weeks later...

Zixette and I saw it this afternoon, and I can honestly say it's one of the few remakes that improves on the original. The story moves faster, has more action, more suspense, and more robust characters.

NOTE WELL: You have to stay to the end of the credits. 'Nuff said.

Four stars for zombie-film fans, three for general audiences.

• 6 months later...

Return of the Living dead was hilarious. It's funny that Shaun of the Dead gets so much attention as a parody when Return already served that function so well (my personal favorite is when the zombies get on the ambulance radio and request more paramedics).

I haven't seen Shaun of the Dead, but I've heard there's some pretty funny scenes there too.

Raf, I loved the ambulance scene too, especially the bit about "name the president."

I saw "Day Of The Dead" ( my teenage son has the dvd). I still don't understand the ending with the helicopter scene and I honestly feel like they concentrated too much on the effects and not enough on the plot. I know they cut Romero's budget in half but I feel if you've got a good script you can compensate for a low effects budget. I hear a remake of "Day" may be in the works, I'll be interested in seeing how that tunrs out.