GreaseSpot Cafe

A Day Without Mexicans

I'm interested in seeing the movie A Day Without Mexicans when it comes out, although I don't have very high hopes for it.

Basically, the plot seems to be that everyone in California wakes up one morning, minus those of latin descent who have mysteriously vanished. It then goes through scenario after scenario of what problems would occur and what benefits people of Mexican descent have for the U.S.

I don't have very high hopes for it,either...I didn't read the whole website,but it seems like the movie is attempting to lampoon that small percentage of the population that wishes all the Mexicans would go back to Mexico...Otherwise,IMHO,it only further adds to the stereotype of the Latino population,as if their only value to the overall community is to do the 'dirty work"...

quote:
Originally posted by simonzelotes:

I don't have very high hopes for it,either...I didn't read the whole website,but it seems like the movie is attempting to lampoon that small percentage of the population that wishes all the Mexicans would go back to Mexico...Otherwise,IMHO,it only further adds to the stereotype of the Latino population,as if their only value to the overall community is to do the 'dirty work"...

I agree with that completely, which is why I don't have high hopes for it either. Also, I checked out their message boards which ....ed me off a bit with some of the racist comments there. Still, I have hope that the latin American immigrants are going to fit in just like the Irish did when they came to the U.S. It may take time, but it's bound to happen as long as they don't try to get a sense of entitlement and pick up a victim mentality.

Anyway, my wife and I will go see the movie if it comes to a theatre near us, but I can't say for sure that I'll like it, based off of the previews.

It seems like I remember the Irish historically being looked down on by the mainstream when they migrated in droves during the potato famine...I interact quite a bit with the Latino population here,including all the employees and manager at my bank,other businessmen,many of the school staff etc. I think anybody who lives in an area with a large Latino population would think that the movie's approach,or 'message' to be somewhat outdated....

That's not to say that changing demographics in a localized area is without it's problems,but it does seem to take a generation or two for immigrants to'fit in'and progress from being 'bottom feeders' economically....

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it, and it's actually not that bad. It does make fun of various people, but I expected all whites to be bad guys in it (which wasn't true) and I think that they had some good information presented, although the whole movie was a bit of weird humor. I'd say that it was a movie that I'd expect out of film school rather than in the theaters, but it was still interesting to see.