GreaseSpot Cafe

The Last Samurai

I picked up this on DVD at a Blockbuster sale, and I totally LOVED it!

Tom Cruise is perfect for the part. He's an American officer who is captured by "renegade" Samurai who are rebelling against those forces who have unduly influenced the emperor. Over time, while in captivity, he begins to understand the Samurai, their lives, their lifestyle, and embarks on a path of understanding of these people. And he becomes enlightened to their way, their "karma."

One statement he made:

"From the moment they wake, they devote themselves to the perfection of whatever they pursue. I have never seen such discipline."

He proceeds from an alcoholic captive, haunted by nightmares of the slaughtering of innocent women and children during the Indian wars, to a burgeoning student of the Samurai.

I won't give any more away. Rent it or buy it. I think you'll like it.

The acting, photography, editing, lighting, they were all superb.

This is a story given in the best tradition of James Clavell's book "Shogun."

Daryl

Franklin Park, Illinois

I won't say that I disagree with you, in part anyway. :-) Tom Cruise is an excellent actor and he is RATHER good looking. I'd be a fool to deny it.

He does, however, kick a** in this film. And regardless of your attraction to whomever, it's a worthwhile film.

That said, I'm also as much of a fan of Hillary Swank. Have you seen "Boys Don't Cry"? She won an Oscar for that. And, she's a girl!!!

ExWayDaryl

..just like Guy Noir, Private Eye, still trying to figure out life's little secrets...

Franklin Park, Illinois, high (OK, two stories) above Willow Street, near the railroad tracks...

I was never really sold on Tom Cruise. I liked him in Top Gun, but I thought he was too pretty to be taken seriously portraying a character with any depth.

I changed my mind watching The Last Samarai. I have a lot more respect for his acting ability now.

BTW, my Karate instructor teaches Kendo, the the Japanese martial art of fencing, and he is crazy about the movie. He thinks it is the most accurate martial arts movie ever done.

I have the DVD, and I think the movie is great. It comes with a second DVD that has a description of what is accurate about the movie - and some of what is not. The techniques are superb - the master Kendo teacher in the movie really is a teacher and a champion. It even has a description of the accuracy of the movie historically that was produced by and aired on the history channel.

I finally saw the movie two days ago on pay-per-view.

It was O.K., I guess. A pretty typical Hollywood epic. But I was disappointed with how fast and loose they played with the facts. Why isn't the REAL story ever good enough?

A few glaring errors - to those that know a little about Saigo Takamori (Katsumoto in the movie)- he and his men did NOT dress in traditional samurai armor (most of which was PARADE armor anyway, but why labor the point?). They were dressed in western-style military uniforms. There were NO American soldiers or advisors involved in ANY of the fighting. There had been German and French military in Japan, but no Americans. The fight was strictly between Japanese.

Takamori and his men also had cannons and rifles, though not as modern as the Emperor's Army. And when they were finally defeated, they had run out of ammunition.

And Takamori's reason to fight against the Emperor had nothing to do with rejecting the evil western influences, but a reluctance to see the old stratified class system (where samurais were conveniently located close to the top) be abolished, and lose their life of privilege and elite status.

Takamori also was eager to invade Korea, which the Government forces - though not opposed to conquering it- felt was a little premature.

Takamori and several of his men did commit seppuku on the battlefield rather than be killed by their enemies but there was no converted Samurai gaijin present to share the experience.

Anyway, it was a good "spectacle" movie. But, I thought, rather lacking in substance, especially the silly bit about the widow of the samurai Algren killed supposedly falling in love with him. Yeah, that seemed real likely.

I might have enjoyed it more, had I not known the real story.

Oh, and BTW, SHOGUN was HORRIBLE! (not just me, but all my Japanese friends think so as well)

Imagine, if you will, what it would be like to see a movie entitled PRESIDENT and supposedly about the first president of the United States.

Unfortunately, according to the movie, the president's name is George Jefferson. He's a gay architect from San Francisco, and he's terribly conflicted about whether he should free the slaves, or allow Benjamin Madison to buy Alaska from Poncho Villa. In the end he decides to let Sitting Bull implement Manifest Destiny.

That's about how Japanese history is handled. I never read the book, so I don't know if Clavell did that bad of job of his research, or if the T.V. miniseries screenwriters completely trashed his work.

Anyway, to get back on topic, "The Last Samurai":

Cinematography, blood, guts, gore, and swordplay - **** four stars

Storyline and substance. *1/2 one and a half.

Edited by George Aar

damn Curmudgeon,

but remember he didn't see it on the large screen and it definately was better at the movies. also the last scene where the samuri is dying, it didn't show him visualizing the cherry blossem's (like earlier when he said they are perfect and you could spend your lifetime looking for perfect-like some of our posters I might add)

I think Tom did a great job. And who says she fell in love with him?, hell she just dressed him, quite a sexy scene w/out sex I might add.

Her kids loved him but if she loved him why wern't they rolling in the hey, or in the rice fields then???

suz

This movie was about rising above circumstances and learning more about a different culture and way of life. The acting and the story was fantastic. I watched it at home and was able to stay interested even though it was the second movie in a row. I don't normally watch two movies in a row.

Today I thought about the content of the movie and how utterly inspiring the story line was. I don't care if it was made up or was made to make bunches of money. It was worth my time and hope Tom Cruise continues to make movies that make me think.

I do think the wife of the man Tom Cruise killed did develop feelings for him over time and I liked the way the movie showed them getting back together. The way Tom's life was spared and the way he was helped and helped this group of people was awesome.

Miracle will follow miracle, wonders will never cease!