GreaseSpot Cafe

Buckwheat Zydeco

mstar1

• 2 weeks later...

They are still at it and livin it. Maybe it was my recent trip to Louisiana and the fresh and refreshing joy of bayou music, or the complete unpretentious approach to life in general that they have--I dont know--but there is an irresistable spirit and life within the music that for a few moments at least made me feel like I didn't have a care in the world.

I've never been to Louisiana - but it sure sounds like a fun place.

Other music using Bayou themes is the soundtrack music to the 1945 documentary "Louisiana Story" by the late

Virgil Thomson (I think he even won a Pulitzer

prize that year for his score).

There were two suites derived from that soundtrack. Think perky symphonic music

featuring an accordian.

Danny

Evan I actually caught him at a great little local clubjust after I had returned from my excursion to the southlands.

You are probably right, I did see some amazing Zydeco while walking Bourbon Street and there are probably others hotter and tighter than Buckwheat, it seems ingrained and just part of the colorful culture down there. Buckwheat was just lucky enough to find an agent and promoter that can bring a part of it out of the bayou and to the rest of us.

I will give you a shout next time--the place has way too much fun, life and energy to pass on