GreaseSpot Cafe

Glen Campbell arrested for extreme dui

Rocky

It's knowin' that your door is always open and your path is free to walk...

And walkin's what I'll be doin'when my drivin' priveleges are gone...

And it's knowin' I'm now shackled,waitin' on bail bonds and fingerprints that have dried upon some line...

That keeps you in the back roads by the rivers of my memory...

That keeps you ever gentle on my mind...

I dip my cup of soup back from a gurglin' cracklin' cauldron in the jailhouse...

My beard a rustlin' coal pile and a number sewn across my back...

Through cupped hands,sittin' on a tin can I pretend to hold you to my breast and find...

That you're waitin' from the back roads by the rivers of my memory...

Ever smilin',ever gentle on my mind...

1125camp.jpg

Campbell apologizes after DUI arrest

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

Glen Campbell's booking photo. View more photos.

Beth DeFalco

Associated Press

Nov. 25, 2003 04:04 PM

Country singer Glen Campbell apologized Tuesday after his arrest on suspicion of drunken driving, hit-and-run and assaulting a police officer.

"Yesterday I was arrested and put in jail. Even at my age, I learned a valuable lesson," Campbell said in a statement read to the Associated Press by his spokesman Sandy Brokaw. "I apologize to my wife, my family, my friends and my fans."

Brokaw would not answer any questions about Campbell or the incident.

The 67-year-old entertainer, whose hits included "Rhinestone Cowboy," was arrested Monday at his home after a collision at a Phoenix intersection in which nobody was hurt, police Sgt. Randy Force said. A witness had followed the car, called police on a cell phone and directed them to a home in the upscale Biltmore area, Force said.

At a police precinct, police said Campbell kneed an officer while demanding to see the police chief.

The Delight, Ark., native was freed early Tuesday on $2,000 bail on charges of extreme drunken driving and hit and run. He did not have to post bond for the arrest on suspicion of assaulting a police officer.

Breath tests on Campbell showed he had a blood-alcohol level of 0.20, according to court documents. Extreme drunken driving applies when results are above 0.15 percent.

Police said Campbell was minutes away from being released to waiting friends and family when became angry and kneed Sgt. Bill Niles in the thigh.

Niles was not hurt. But Campbell's actions prompted police to arrest him again on suspicion of assault. He was taken to jail and appeared in Superior Court just before midnight.

"There was a lot of, 'Do you know who I am. I'm Glen Campbell ... I shouldn't be locked up like this.' He asked to speak to the chief of police," Niles said.

Court Commissioner Steve Kupiszewski placed him on supervised release, requiring him to check in periodically with court monitors, who could test him for alcohol and drugs.

"There's a first time for everything," Campbell told his lawyer, Larry Debus during Monday's hearing.

Campbell has acknowledged years of heavy drinking and drug use and discussed his decision to quit in an interview with the AP in August.

"Talk about a tool of the devil. That's one of them - drugs," Campbell said.

Campbell, who has lived in Arizona for 22 years and has no prior convictions, was hugely successful in the 1960s and early '70s with a string of hits on the pop and country charts, including "Galveston," "Gentle on My Mind," "Wichita Lineman" and the Grammy-winning "By the Time I Get to Phoenix."

Force said that while in jail, Campbell could be heard singing "Rhinestone Cowboy."

By the time I got to detox,

I was shaking.

They took my keys,

and towed away my car...

They told me there'd be no more drinking,

then they left the room and slammed the door.

chorus:

And honey I miss you and I'm being..eek wrong chorus. I always get those 60's Easy Listening songs mixed up.

[This message was edited by ItsStillTheWord on November 26, 2003 at 14:11.]