GreaseSpot Cafe

USC Trojans Rock

Mark Sanguinetti

It's too bad that they didn't play a better team like the University of Utah icon_eek.gif

I'm sure that the BCS didn't want to embaress themselves too much... That is why that sacrificed the "Big E" (E is for easy I guess icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->) champions of Pittisburg.

The Utes sent the Panthers home with a huge loss of 35 - 7.

The BCS bustin' Ute's finished the season 12-0.

At the end of the Fiesta Bowl an announcer called The runnen Ute's "the little team that could" icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

GO UTE'S!!!

(Did I mention that my cousin plays on the Utah team icon_biggrin.gif:D-->)

I thought Stanford had the best marching band in the nation.

Too bad Southern Cal and Auburn can't play now. That might actually be a game. Division I football needs a playoff system. The BCS is a joke.

Speaking of jokes, who ever told that Ashlee Simpson person she could sing? God, that was awful!

Pirate,

You are correct about the BCS (they should just drop the "C")

Case in point. A team that is ranked 21 (can you say Pittsburg) wins the big "E" conference automatically plays in one of the "major" bowl games icon_eek.gif

The way the system is currently set up...

Not all of the best teams will play the best teams.

Depending on which poll you look at Utah finished ranked either #4 or #5 after an undefeated season and winning the Fiesta Bowl.

The teams that ranked higher than Utah did not (and will not) play this years Utah team.

There needs to be a better way to say at the end of the year who had the best team. The current system does not provide for that.

For what it's worth,though I'm not a rabid college football fan,I kind of like the fact you may have three or four undefeated teams in a season,plus several more conference champs...There's simply too many Division I schools competing every year to install a truly fair playoff system that would eventually crown a national champ...

Most college athletes will not go on to play professional football...So the highlight of their athletic careers will be winning the Rose Bowl,or Fiesta Bowl,or the Big Ten Conference or going undefeated in a particular year...So why not spread that "We're Number One" Feeling?...Who cares what the polls say,Auburn and Utah were just as undefeated as USC...Now they'll all have bragging rights the rest of their lives...They're not pros....We don't need to crown a 'true' college champion like the pros do...I sort of like the endless arguments anyway,about who was really the number one team...Sometimes it's more enjoyable to talk about the games that were not played...

Nice sarcasm Pirate. However, being a S.F. Bay Area native and actually having gone to a Stanford game I can tell you that the Stanford band is deliberately bad. With purpose they march out of formation and sometimes even with intent play off key. So much for the Stanford band. And being a California Golden Bears football fan I especially don't like the BcS. Cal only lost once to top ranked USC and was ranked 5th by the BcS and 4th by the Coaches and Writers polls. Yet they did not get to play in a top rated bowl game.

I'm no fan of marching bands at all which is why I like Stanford's.

Division 1AA has 121 schools, and they manage to have a playoff system that determines the national champion on the field, like it should be. Division 1 can't do the same thing with 117 schools?

There's only one real reason that there is no playoff in Division 1 yet - money. Not too long ago a bowl invitation used to be the reward for having a great season. Teams had to win at least 8 games to even be considered. Now all a team has to do is win 6 games and they can be rewarded with a trip to Boise to play in the MPC Computers Bowl, or a trip to beautiful Detroit to play in the Motor City Bowl. The school picks up a nice check, gets some tv exposure, which helps recruiting, and, if they win, they can call themselves "bowl champions." No matter that there are 28 bowl games and every team except Akron that won 6 games got to go to one.

The University of North Carolina finished 6-5, got blown out by Virginia and Utah and Louisville and Florida State and was rewarded with a trip 140 miles down I-85 to Charlotte to play in the Continental Tire Bowl, where they got blown out by Boston College. They got on tv, made a little money and probably consider their .500 season to be a success because they went to a bowl game. With a playoff, they would be sitting home where they belong.

The NCAA basketball tournament has become one of the biggest events in sports, probably second only to the NFL playoffs. An NCAA football playoff might be bigger than the NFL.

Division 1AA takes 16 teams for the playoffs. Using the final BCS standings to pick the top 16, just for the sake of argument, this could have been the first round of the playoffs this year:

#16 Florida State at #1 USC

#15 Tennessee at #2 Oklahoma

#14 Miami at #3 Auburn

#13 Michigan at #4 Texas

#12 Iowa at #5 California

#11 LSU at #6 Utah

#10 Louisville at #7 Georgia

#9 Boise State at #8 Virginia Tech

Think those games might generate any interest? Might be a little better than 6-5 Minnesota playing 6-5 Alabama in the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl or 6-5 Wyoming playing 6-5 UCLA in the Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl.

Oh, well. Pardon my rant. It won't happen. The college presidents don't want it because they say the players will miss too much class time. Right. That doesn't seem to come up when they send basketball teams all over the country in March. What they'll miss is that payoff for having a mediocre season.

Pirate,

What's wrong with having that payoff for a mediocre season?....I mean,universities are educational institutions....If some of the money gets spread around through some of these obscure bowl games,I think that's a good thing(tho,I agree,there may be a few too many bowl games)...

This year,the NFC is sending two 8-8 teams to the playoffs who should be watching them instead...You wouldn't see that in a Division I College football tournament because with 117 teams there's always going to be plenty of those 'Little Sisters of the Poor' teams to beat up on so the mediocre teams can fatten their record....Even so,with the top 16 teams having to be 'voted' into a BCS tournament,there will always be schools out there who will think they were given a raw deal,especially the one ranked 17th...

well... playoff system or not... that was a hide tanning of the highest order...

I kind of like the "plus one" idea... the top four teams play and then the winners play each other...

either way... I don't think any of us have seen a college team play such a complete game, in sync, in a long time... if ever...

...and that boy's crazy if he goes back to school...

It just seems pretty lame that every college sport from women's field hockey to Division 1AA football can have a playoff, but Division 1 football is a popularity contest, voted on by people who can't possibly see all the teams play.

The 17th team in a 16-team playoff system would be disappointed, of course, just like the 66th team that doesn't get into the basketball tournament. You can't ever please everybody.

Just one time I'd like to hear somebody in the NCAA say that keeping the bowl system is all about the money and not because they're concerned about the season being too long and players missing class time. Get real.