GreaseSpot Cafe

Goodbye Frank Purdue

satori001

You probably fed a lot more people than the ailing Pope ever did, and the wealth you leave behind was earned, not extorted from the rich or flim-flammed out of the poor.

You never crusaded against contraceptives, which might have spared countless millions the poverty and suffering brought upon them by having more mouths to feed than they could ever afford, or being one of those hungry mouths.

Okay Frank, if God has feathers you're in the frier now buddy, but otherwise you'll go down as one of the un-sung good guys who built a business that employed and fed a lot of people, and that ain't chicken .....

Speaking of which, how's the Pope?

Frank, I almost forgot. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe you ever used your considerable power to cover up for child-molesters in your employment, or white-wash endemic, organizational corruption.

You never used your public voice to criticize the unsurpassedly generous United States (to friend and foe alike) for its "avarice" while you lived ensconced in a fortress which hordes unimaginable and ill-gotten (mostly) treasure, and yet promoted doctrines keeping your followers ensconced in their "holy" penury.

About the worst you could be accused of is not speaking another language, leading to some embarrassing moments. Like the time: In an attempt to reach the Hispanic market, the now-famous slogan "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken" was mistakenly translated for publication as "It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a chicken affectionate."

True or not, it makes a funny story, unlike the other.

Frank, nobody was outside your window, praying and holding candle-light vigils as you took your last breath.

But why not? You were world-famous. You had character, charm, charisma... What was lacking? I think you just weren't wicked enough to please most people.

quote:
About the worst you could be accused of is not speaking another language, leading to some embarrassing moments. Like the time: In an attempt to reach the Hispanic market, the now-famous slogan "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken" was mistakenly translated for publication as "It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a chicken affectionate."

Hmmmmm ........

Wow, I thought I heard several years ago that he died, but I guess not:

quote:
Foster Klug

Associated Press

Apr. 2, 2005 12:00 AM

BALTIMORE - Frank Perdue, who transformed a backyard egg business into one of the nation's largest food companies and became a popular television pitchman, has died. He was 84.