GreaseSpot Cafe

Holocaust materials needed...

Cindy!

For my eighth graders, I am beginning a unit on the Holocaust using the book Briar Rose by Jane Yolen.

I have taught this book before, but somehow in all of our moving around, I can find NONE of the materials I had.

Though I have managed to reconstruct a lot of them, I am still missing some stories on the holocaust, info and pictures on Chelmno, and pictures of different things from the holocaust.

I always start off the unit with biographies of children from the holocaust, both survivors and victims...and I've reconstructed that.

Briar Rose is an analogy between the Holocaust and Sleeping Beauty.

Any help, materials, info you might have would be helpful!!!

There is a story about a synagogue being burned, a teen in the ghettos, and a young person (not Anne Frank) from a concentration camp that I particularly want to find.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently saw a very good movie that I posted about Here, which was a documentary about middle school students studying the holocaust.

I think that I made the point in the post that it should be required viewing for everyone but especially Middle School age kids.

I cant find the link right now, but aside from it being in wide release, it is also available from the producers for school groups

Paper Clips

Cindy!

Joseph's 8th gr. class visited the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum on their recent trip to Washington D.C. and although you may not be able to take your class there, the website for the museum is fabulous and has an entire section on Holocaust education.

I'd encourage everyone who's not visited there to take a tour around the website. Gripping first hand accounts:

www.ushmm.org

J.

Cindy,

Living in Chicagoland with it's large Jewish population in some of the burbs, you may find valuable resources. I would encourage you to get in touch with local synagogues or perhaps the JCC. Perhaps, they could put you in touch with an actual holocaust survivor who would love to share his/her experience with young people.

I would also recommend the short book by Viktor Frankel, Man's Search for Meaning.

Frankel was a prominent psychiatrist in Vienna when the Nazis sent him off to Auschwitz. In his book he gives us a glimpse of his professional perspective on the horrors of Auschwitz and the heroic love of some of his fellow prisoners.

The truth that emerges from his pen is that when all else is stripped away from a person, what remains intact and inviolate is the ability to choose one's way...one's dignity and humanity cannot be taken by force. They are lost only by resignation.

Thank you for allowing the truth of the holocaust to speak to your youngsters when there are antisemites who would tell them that it never happened...that it is a Jewish fable to gain support for Israel.

• 2 weeks later...

Cindy! I judged a speech contest this week-end and one of the contestants told about Superman's creator being Jewish and that Superman came from the story of Moses and that the X-Men came from the survivors of the Holocaust.

I don't know where the information came from, but it should be pretty easy to find it. I had no idea those were the inspirations for those characters. Amazing what you can learn from some of these brillian Jr. High kids. icon_smile.gif:)-->