GreaseSpot Cafe

60's style coffee house

Cindy!

Lava lamps have gotten popular again, although they were really an early 70s thing, I believe. You can get them at WalMart these days for $10-20.

Beaded curtains are also very popular right now. I just put one in my son's doorway and all his friends are jealous. Spencers or HotTopic usually have them in stock for around $20.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the beaded curtains, a couple of funky lights, some funky hanging lights I'm making out of different things, and the art teacher is gonna make me some peace signs if she has time. I also am borrowing a bongo from the music department.

The coffee house is scheduled for June 2nd...student volunteers are going to help me set up the room the night before.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

This should be FUN!!!!!!!

Coffee house in the '60s? What like a White Tower or Castle? icon_smile.gif:)--> Other than restaurants or soda fountains, I can't remember any coffe...Oh wait!

A subculture of the hippie generation were known as beatnicks. They would read poetry and snap their fingers if they approved. They wore berets, sunglasses(granny type), and mostly dark colors. They seemed to have a fetish for bongos. If on the other hand it was the flower children(who had to much whisky in their coffee and other illegal substances) their colors are bright, earthy and don't match. Bellbottoms were a hit back then. The flower stickers were a hit with them.

Then there were the bikers and the surfers. Sonny and Cher, The Beatles, Psychadelic colors, Stupid images that looked cool. It was the age of Aquarius(so the horoscope symbol will do) although no one knew what that meant. If you ever saw Laugh In there's all the decor you'll need. The painted walls where they would pop out and tell their jokes(had to be there I guess) would make a great backdrop!

If it is mood the early 60's (as a continuation of the 50's) that you are trying to recapture perhaps someone reading some poetry by one of the beat poets like Alan Ginsberg might set the coffeehouse mood.

Bongo drums and a black beret here and there would also be a good touch.

• 2 weeks later...