GreaseSpot Cafe

60's style coffee house

Cindy!

I am ending the school year with a sixties style coffee house (complete with snapping) in my classroom. I need to find and get 60's style decorations.

My students will be performing the poetry they have written this year. We will have snacks, groovy decorations and hopefully a small drum (if I can find one)

Can anyone help with decorations or suggestions????

I want to make this as fun for my students as I can!

Posters and a blacklight would be perfect. Alas, I have neither to offer, but you can get a blacklight bulb for cheap, and the posters would be fairly simple to reproduce. How old are the kids? It might be a fun project to have them color/paint their own psychedelic "posters" with glow-in-the-dark crayons/paints. I'll bet you could even find a book at the library or through the interlibrary system with examples of 60s poster art.

Playing a couple 60s greatest-hits CDs would help set the mood.

By the way, the "snapping" was really a late 1950s, early 60s beatnik thing, as were bongo drums (if that's what you mean by a little drum). Instead, just teach 'em the buzzwords: far out, groovy, outa sight, etc. and have 'em dress in old bellbottoms and tie-dyed shirts. icon_smile.gif:)-->

If you're going for the beat era, they can switch to tights and black turtlenecks for the girls, jeans and black turtlenecks for boys, and berets for all! And teach 'em to say, "Cool, daddy-o." No decorations needed except maybe a few candles in chianti bottles sitting on tables with checkered tablecloths.

quote:
No decorations needed except maybe a few candles in chianti bottles sitting on tables with checkered tablecloths.

And ....

quote:
Posters and a blacklight would be perfect.

Man does THIS EVER BRING BACK MEMORIES!! icon_cool.gif

The table the chianti bottle candle-holders are on has to be a big old *spindle* that wire was wrapped around, and the chianti bottles have to have the woven straw around the base.

Albums playing in the background would be:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band -- Beatles

Inna Gadda Da Vida -- Iron Butterfly

White Room -- Cream

The Doors (Light My Fire, Strange Days, The End)

and Jimi Hendrix.

icon_cool.gif

Oh -- and Cindy! --- I have a poster here that I'll send your way (if you want it).

It is from national library week, 1969, and is a psychedelic drawing by Peter Max, expounding the advantages of reading books.

At the top of it it says:

BE ALL YOU CAN BE. READ!!

It is about 20" by 40", and pretty *fragile*, due to the age of the thing, and has all the Peter Max *stuff* on it that makes it so appropo to the era.

I'll send it to you if you want. I think it would be fitting for what you have in mind. It may be worth some money (though I doubt it -- cause it has been folded up for many years), but it's yours for this coffeehouse thing this year, and any other year you decide to do something like this for your students. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I found it the other day, hidden away in the mountains of *old stuff* I have here, and was going to toss it out. Let me know.

Cindy!

As Linda said, the bongo drums are a must. But I think if you get into black lights and psychadelic stuff, you are crossing genres.

If it were me, I would keep it simple. One of those tall, round, wooden stools would work for the students to sit on as they recite. An acoustic guitar, too. Remember folk music was the thing before rock. I think you are thinking more Doby Gillis than Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix.....

quote:
No decorations needed except maybe a few candles in chianti bottles sitting on tables with checkered tablecloths.

Cindy, I'm quoting this in case you missed it in my first post. If you're going for the early-60s, late 50s Beat thing--poetry reading and all that, what I've described above plus a tall wooden stool for the poetry readers, as Ex-10 suggested, is really all you need. The Beats were minimalists--definitely not much into decorative items.

They make checkered red tablecloths in paper. If you know of a busy, old-fashioned Italian restaurant (in Chicago, that should be easy), you could ask them if they still serve chianti in those bottles with the straw bottoms, as dmiller described, and ask them to save their empties for you. If not, I'm sure you could find other bottles that would do as makeshift candleholders.

If safety laws prohibit the burning of candles for a school function, you could always burn them at home ahead of time, so that they drip nicely down the sides of the bottles.

The music of the Beat Generation was mainly jazz early on, with some blues mixed in. I believe it was later, closer to the end of the "era," when folk came into the mix.

Sounds like fun! Hope you get what you need.

Thanks for all the input!

LindaZ - am looking for posters and tableclothes, already have the stool, can't do blacklights due to student issues, can't do chianti bottles or candles cuz of school rules

Radar - peace symbols....absolutely!!!! would love lava lamps if I can find them, but cannot do incense at school...again due to student issues

dmiller...would LOVE that poster!!!!!send it on...maybe I'll have it laminated by my school so it'll last!!!

ex10 - definitely keeping it simple...can't do the black lights and if I come across some psych stuff, I'll use it...but not looking hard for it

mj412 - lookin on ebay for bead curtains!!!!!

onion...no hemp, no how...no way, not in a public school

WhiteDove...thanks for the link!

Yeah, I'm gonna hit spencers when I get a chance. Am swamped now with writing curriculum for my dept., doing the web page for the school, presenting at in-service days, training faculty on computer stuff, honor roll dinner, six flags trip planning...oh...and did I mention teaching???

busy, busy, busy

The up side is...it will be summer BEFORE I'm ready for it!!!!! confused.gif