GreaseSpot Cafe

Honey, Don't forget to take your teeth out

Ron G.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&ar...63033640C157944

New device gives women teeth where it matters

Jillian Green

June 07 2005 at 06:50AM

A rape victim once wished for teeth "where it mattered". Now a device has been designed to "bite" a rapist's penis. The patented device looks and is worn like a tampon, but it is hollow and attaches itself with tiny hooks to a man's penis during penetration.

"We have to do something to protect ourselves. While this will not prevent rape it will assist in identifying attackers and securing convictions," claims Sonette Ehlers, inventor of the device.

Not everyone, however, is convinced of its usefulness.

Lisa Vetten, of the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation (CSVR) says: "It is like we are going back to the days where women were forced to wear chastity belts. It is a terrifying thought that women are being made to adapt to rape by wearing these devices.

'It is a terrifying thought that women are being made to adapt to rape'

"We should rather focus our energy on changing men's mindsets and behaviour towards women."

Ehlers, of Kleinmond, who has worked for the South African Institute for Medical Research, said she had been seeking a way to help women since meeting a rape survivor 20 years ago who commented that she wished she had teeth in her vagina.

"Over the past three years I have been working on this device. It is now completely safe and ready to be manufactured and distributed," she said.

It had been designed with engineers, gynaecologists, psychologists and urologists. It was "hygienic - no human hands will be involved in the manufacture".

In the event of rape, the device folds itself around the rapist's penis, attaching to the skin with microscopic hooks. It is only when the rapist withdraws that he will realise the device is clamped around his penis.

'He will have to be put under anaesthetic to have it removed'

"Its design will also go a long way towards lowering HIV infection as semen is contained in the device ... as well as preventing sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies," Ehlers says.

As it is impossible to remove the device from a penis without medical help, hospitals and clinics will be able to alert police when assistance is sought.

"This will rule out any possibility of the rapist's escaping arrest and speed up conviction."

If the rapist tries to remove the device, it will only embed itself further.

"He will have to be put under anaesthetic to have it removed. He will not be able to leave it as he will be unable to urinate."

A woman would have to wear the device every day.

"We never know when we might be raped. This device should become a part of every woman's daily routine, just like brushing her teeth."

Last year, there were 52 733 reported rapes. In a study, the Gender-Based Violence Programme at the CSVR analysed 162 rapes in Johannesburg's inner city and found that one in four had been a gang rape. The study found that 56 percent of the victims had been raped by two men and 23 percent by three.

Although Ehlers is optimistic that the device will go a long way towards reducing the high incidence of rape in this country, rape organisations are not so sure.

"Women would have to wear this every minute of their lives on the off-chance that they would be raped," Vetten says.

"I am concerned at how normal rape has become that we would even consider a device like this."

Chanaz Mitchell, spokesperson for the National Network on Violence against Women, says although it is a good idea for women to protect themselves, men should take responsibility for their actions.

"We still need to focus on men as perpetrators of this heinous crime."

Mitchell is also concerned that the device might lead to further violence against victims.

"Once the rapist realises this device is attached to him, he is more than likely to take his anger out on his victim."

Mbuyiselo Botha, spokesperson for the Men's Forum, said anything that could empower women should be welcomed.

"I would encourage my wife and two daughters to wear this device. It would send a signal to would-be rapists that they won't have it easy."

Ehlers intends launching the prototype next month.

"It will be available at supermarkets, chemists, anywhere where one would be able to buy tampons," she says.

The device is to cost R1 and also be available in bulk packs.

First: let me say that I am entirely against 'rape', and that I fully support all efforst to prosecute anyone guilty of violent rape.

Second: Ladies please forgive the ignorance of an old sailor. I hear things, I think I understand but it is alwasy possible that I do not understand. Okay so dont yell at me. Thank you.

Now I have always heard rumours, or perhaps 'Urban legends' of ladies who have stuffed things up inside themselves and later forgotten them. Old tampons, etc, And that thsoe items if left in place for long periods of time, will rot and that the lady will possibly have an infection.

It this tube were left in place, could it possibly cause an infection?

Now I find it difficult to imagine there being room to stuff too many things up inside a lady, let alone forget about them. But such 'legends' suggest that such is possible. If this thing was left in there, wouldn't a tampon get stuck inside of too?

If this thing [a hollow tube] is in her, then to get it out again you would also need to stay outside of the tube, correct? [since the inside of the tube is lined with barbs]

:-)

Gentlemen inspect your garages before parking your vehicle.

It probably wouldn't be any more caustic than an IUD would be. Also, some forms of birth control now that are in the form of a ring that is worn next to the cervix but works like the pill, are left in place for 28 days - they can go up to 35 if the wearer "forgets" about it. Of course there is testing to make sure these things pose minimal side-effects to the wearer. I would think that this device would undergo similar testing since it is worn internally. However, since this sounds like it is marketed in S. Africa, it would not be regulated the same as in America - which is another can of worms.

Galen, I could tell you of some things I've heard about - not urban legends - that have happened where women come in with some serious issues in the southern most hemisphere. There's one story about a lady who came in by ambulance with a glass Coke bottle and a smile, if you catch my drift. It seems she learned how vacuumes work by first hand experience.

I think it's a good thing to have available to women in that country. Just the fact that it's on the market would be a deterrent, but rape can come in more than one form. I'm afraid there would also be a rebuttal to this device in a more horrific and violent way.

Once in 1979-ish I took a college course for EMT, down in Virginia. And during that course I do recall they said that the coke bottle-vacuum plug does happen and that ambulance crews see it routinely among teenage females.

Just break the bottom of the bottle and it will immediately release [Either drilling a hole in the bottom of the bottle, or sawing through the bottle will keep the shattering glass at a minimum].

I have never seen such personally. I was standing gate guard once, late at night, when two ladys drove up and asked If I would release their hand-cuffs. One lady was wearing only a bedsheet and those hand-cuffs. They told a story of 'party' that got out of control, and that one lady had smuggled the other out of the party before she got hurt, but that she still had these hand-cuffs on.

I was a gentleman.

quote:
Lisa Vetten, of the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation (CSVR) says: "It is like we are going back to the days where women were forced to wear chastity belts. It is a terrifying thought that women are being made to adapt to rape by wearing these devices.

"We should rather focus our energy on changing men's mindsets and behaviour towards women."

I'm trying to articulate it, but I find that remark insulting.

It's not only insulting, but I also find it offensive.

In this country, a male who raped a woman wearing the device would sue her for damages after he copped a plea and finished 10 hours of community service. And he'd win.

Edited by krysilis

Raf and krysilis:

The Story is 'set' in South Africa.

I have never been to S.A. Though from what I have read, it is a different culture than ours. To purport this attitude among men and women here in America is entirely out of place. Though unfortunately just about any discussion we have about rape ends in someone being insulted.

In either case, S.A. does sound like a place that I would truly not desire to live.

I'm an unly American too, I guess, but I still find the statement offensive.

I knew it was set in South Africa, that's why I used the word "this" - - but I shall go back and add some emphasis to make sure that stands out....probably should have done that in the beginning.

Recently on NPR there was a story about how mothers who are HIV+ still breastfeed their babies, which will most likely get the babies infected with HIV, because in their culture women are thought to be HIV+ are killed - usually stoned to death or shot. Mothers who can not breastfeed or have babies with a failure to thrive, thus would normally need formula, will oftentimes let the babies starve to death than to be thought to be infected with HIV.

It's a much, much different, and very brutal culture in comparison to ours.

Not to derail this thread, but I remember as I WOW in Nashville we had a couple of people sign up for the class who were from Zire. They were both men, spoke with hard French accents, but what I remember most is how... How can I say it?... Macho? They were. They were very suprised that women - taught the Bible and often wanted to debate teachings after Twig, which was rather refreshing. However, they did not want to engage in conversation with my WOW sister or myself - even if it was one of us who taught or lead the meetings. That was just their culture. They would also get very loud when they were talking about something they were passionate about - it could be head-splitting at times. But again, that was how things were done in their country...

ChasUFarley:

"... Mothers who can not breastfeed ... will oftentimes let the babies starve to death than to be thought to be infected with HIV."

Sounds about right.

"It's a much, much different, and very brutal culture in comparison to ours."

True.

"... I remember ... a couple of people sign up for the class who were from Zire. ... They were very suprised that women - taught the Bible and often wanted to debate teachings after Twig, which was rather refreshing. However, they did not want to engage in conversation with my WOW sister or myself - even if it was one of us who taught or lead the meetings. That was just their culture."

To hitch a ride on your derail, I have known [purely through face-to-face conversation] a few ladies of Nigerian culture who had been smuggled to Italy, they were working as prostitutes to pay-off their smugglers. They shared their dreams with me, the intent of saving enough money so they could each return to their native Nigeria and 'buy' into a prosperous high-class family. Maybe a villiage leader with lots of goats and five wives already, to those ladies in Italy it sounded like a paradise and all they had to do was save up $5k worth in British pounds to buy it for themselves.

One fellow WatchCommander was a black female [MA1], a number of times, during shift rotation I had to go out to the scene of some incident to releive her on-scene. The scene of an American black woman commanding a dozen white MPs was such a novel idea, that it would stop all traffic. Italians would line-up on the streets to watch. From watching Hollywood movies on one hand, then seeing English speaking Nigerian prostitutes on their streets, and yet here was a black female MP commanding Americans; those poor Italians were just amazed and could not understand. A few times we had to get the Policia to respond to help clear-out the crowds.

I have also seen her standing in the middle of the street and a Policia walk up to her and offer her a pack of cigarettes. It was the only time that I ever witnessed any American MP punch-out an Italian Policia.

Our planet contains many widely different cultures.

Edited by ET1 SS