GreaseSpot Cafe

The House That Ruth Built......

Stayed Too Long

as much as I hate to see Yankee Stadium replaced, I think they did a heck of a job maintaining the character in the new designs. I never really liked the renovated Yankee Stadium, as much of what I loved about the original (like the 'frieze' running along the outfield, and the 'el' train visible past the outfield), was gone. They say they're bringing back the distinctive frieze, tho I couldn't tell by the drawing I saw.

I wouldnt mind having a short row of seats, or at least a brick or two when the time comes. Even though Im no fan of the renovated place its sort of sad to see a place with that much history torn down....Isnt about time the Romans built a new coliseum?

• 1 year later...

How many jibes can one get into a sentence -'for those who care', 'house the taxpayers built'.

As much as I wish it wasn't happening, at least they're not moving to the Meadowlands, as was once threatened. Someday, maybe not for another hundred years, Fenway and Wrigley will be coming down too. Ebbets Field, now that was a shame.Atleast the team is staying this time. And the Mets new park is going to emulate Ebbets in an attempt to see if you can go home again.

What got in your tea?

A thanks might have been in order, I thought you might like to see them..

Anyway Heres the new main entrance which is one helluvan improvement to me over what they have now

Edit: For some reason the pics wont post direct

Heres the links

http://www.baseball-fever.com/attachment.p...mp;d=1197160931

another of the main entrance;

http://www.baseball-fever.com/attachment.p...mp;d=1197160941

Its a lot closer to the original (below) than The weird hotel lobby looking thing that is there now

yankeeboys03is-1.jpg

Edited by mstar1

Guess I'm so used to your Yankee bashing, I read your colorful descriptions as insults. Maybe your sense of humor doesn't translate on paper. I know mine doesn't.

That weird entrance they have now is just one of many mistakes from the renovation. The 70's were not good for ballparks.

I used to think that outside of part of the field, and the direction it faces, there wasn't much that survived in the renovation. I've been there before and after, and so much was lost in the process.

Then I took the Stadium tour a couple years ago, and found that to be thrilling. The underbelly, locker room, dugout, press box, and field all dripped with Yankee-ness. Which is a good thing to some of us. I thought of Lou Gehrig as I walked the tunnel to the field and got all choked up.

So yeah-it is a huge loss. But I'm thankful for the time spent there.