GreaseSpot Cafe

Removeable Hard Drives

My3Cents

This question is sort of aimed at IGOTOUT because I know he uses removeable hard drives, but answers from anyone who has experience would be appreciated.

I work in two home offices and I also travel a bit. I want to have the same computing situation wherever I go - at least as far as software. So I take a laptop with me. In my main office I hook it up to an external monitor and keyboard.

In my next iteration, I'm thinking it would be nice to build a desktop as my main machine, but keeping all the same programs and data would mean laborious synching (which is a pain) and not only installing the same software multiple places but making sure to tweak preferences and settings in the same way.

The thought occurs if I could use a single removeable hard drive on all machines - that might do it. And since travel really does require a laptop, the laptop drive would have to be the one that moves. Does anyone know if there's a way to make a desktop so it uses a laptop drive as the main, bootable, C: drive. (not as a slave)?

Thanks.

you could get an external hard drive and have that be the "data" drive for both computers. And have each computer have the standard array of programs. Having the external drive as the place where all your docs go would eliminate the need for syncing.

Yeah, that probably would be. Get yourself a docking station for home or for your office and you can hook up a regular monitor and a regular keyboard and mouse to that, so that your laptop will "feel" like a regular desktop machine. Heck, you can even hook up a printer to a docking station.