GreaseSpot Cafe

Fifty something women--what do you wear?

Bramble

I got to thinking about this reading the other 50 something thread.

I'm close to fifty, and I have gone through alot of changes in the past 4 or 5 years, after we left TWI. The most stressful change to my husband has actually been my weight loss, which you'd think he would like, because in the looks department it is certainly an improvement--I weigh about 50 lbs less than our last year in TWi.

Never once, in all our years in TWI, did we have a discussion about my clothes! Now I never know what I should wear--do I look frumpy? Dress too cute? Is this too low? Is this too young? too tight? too baggy? I wish there was a fashion magazine for 50 something women.

For our anniversary last year we went to a big city, to some clubs with music.I picked out an outfit, black jeans, boots, a red patterned gauze top(floaty) over a black lacy(close knit lace, too) tank top. Everything was covered! Some things by 3 layers! I looked good, but not like I was going to a branch meeting. No skin showed! I figured it was appropriate for our evening--a nice staek house, then clubs with bands...

Hubby still hasn't decided if he liked it or hated it. I guess I should stick with sweatshirts. Then my sis gave me a red sheer blouse for Christmas--because I already have the tank to wear under. "Who gave you a see through shirt???" I didn't even try to explain that you're Supposed to wear something under.

I have never had the guts to wear that, even though sis has a white one just like it and wears it to work.

I can figure out my work wardrobe--it's the casual and dressy stuff I'm having a hard time with.

I'm at an awkward age.

(((BRAMBLE)))

I know, it's challenging sometimes. I'm gaining weight and can't decide if I should just keep on enjoying dessert and buy new clothes or diet and look cute, ya know? It's tough sometimes because our society is so looks oriented.

You probably look beautiful with the clothes you mentioned above. That's what everyone wears to work, now, not just for entertainment, in Indy. Of course our city doesn't pretend to be up with the fashion devas, but just fyi. Hope this helps!

The More mag sounds interesting, Karmi, I'll have to check that out. I'm kinda tired of the ones geared to the hollywood fake stuff. That sounds refreshing. One of my favorite books is entitled Something More and it's for 50 something women, also. Wonder if there's a connection.

Bramble:

Think ahead and plan ahead. It's even a tad more difficult for me in the 60's. As I continue to (ahem) mature - I find myself enjoying deep rich colors which I used to avoid. Being blond, emerald green and a certain shade of darkish saphire blue make me feel a little sexy. In my youth I went for the pale colors. It's more a matter of choices, but now I prefer the deeper shades. Try on some color you never used to like, be willing to look at it differently. I also stay totally away from patterns of any kind now.

Definitely start getting control of your weight. Maybe you don't have to diet hard...just be sure you don't gain anything. It's much harder to take it off as we get older, most of the really nice clothes don't look good on anybody in size 20 or 22 1/2, and excess weight is definitely a factor in most diseases on the other side of 50.

A shop I have recently discovered (and spent more money than I should have!) is Dress Barn. There are two sections...one for misses (up to size 14) and one for woman (size 14w-24).

It's great!!!

My daughters and I all love it!!!

Bright colors, nice fashionable clothes that don't make my daughters look like sluts-in-training and don't make me look like I'm trying too hard to be young again. (and makes my husband wanna rip the clothes right off me redface.gif:o--> )

Check it out! Dress Barn

Cindy, that's a great shop! It fits women from smaller sizes to larger sizes and they even have nice accessories too. Dress Barn is the shop I was thinking about when I posted. The prices are decent and there is always a sale going on.

gc