GreaseSpot Cafe

Volunteering

Wacky Funster

I don't volunteer.

I don't commit.

Ever since twi, I have avoided anything that would have me "give" in any way...unless I am paid.

Feelings of being used, exploited...you all know the rest...has turned me into a volunteer/giver phobic.

...until today.

I have 2500 "guests" of New Orleans 5 miles down the road from me...

I have volunteered to be a teacher and/or counselor, as I am certified in both.

I have collected oodles...and I mean OODLES!!!... of yarn...for knitting circles for blankets and scarves for my new women neighbors...the frost is right around the corner now.

This New Orleans fiasco has moved me to get OFF MY foot...and for the first time since twi...(about 20 years now)...to GIVE...

...and get re-thankful for every sip of water I drink...

Funny how tragedy can wake up the soul...

Hopefully I will have stories to tell. I am still waiting to hear for my assignment.

It is a slow time of the year for menow, as the tourists have left...so I have plenty of time...

It feels pretty good...

...to break through this wall I have...

...I couldn't do it, but knew it had to be done before my life was over!!!

I won't feel used, nor exploited...no,not this time...

Wacky,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I decided the preface "I should" is insufficient to move me to volunteer for anything. "I should" responds manipulation and coercion as we know all to well.

I am sure what you found recently was the link between love and desire that sparked your action. That is the only reason I volunteer for anything now.

The thing I have trouble volunteering for is religious organizations. BLECH.

But, yeah, since TWI I am pretty darn fussy about what I agree to.

I've always volunteered in my daughters school and other activities, that always fits me.

Also I seem to have to volunteer in some capacity that doesn't put me working with many others; maybe one or two other parents is all I can do.