GreaseSpot Cafe

Did Jesus own his own personal scroll of the O.T.?

Ham

I don't think anyone owned their own personal scrolls must less be allowed to handle them. Maybe that is done nowadays and for the past 100 years (that is pushing it) to study ancient hebrew and be able to read it, although I have been told that for bar mitzahs, those passages are memorized.

I was told, by more than one source, that those kids who attend 'school' to learn the laws were taught orally and the lessons were memorized so that knocks out a bunch of middle to lower class people being able to read at all. Back in those days and up through to the almost present times, (I am referring to the invention of the printing press and then hundred of years later when public education was made available to all, regardless of class status) only certain castes were allowed to learn to read and write and even then, only the scribe class and priests were allowed to read and write along with the super rich.

Remember the scripture where Jesus read from the scroll and began to preach and those there got offended at him, wondering where such wisdom came from, and wasn't this the carpenter's son??

It was obvious to them that an ordinary hebrew boy should have not been able to do that and being able to do so placed him at a higher place in 'education' than they thought would be possible for one of their own kind in social status.

So providing that Jesus was real (read my sig) and providing the gosepl account is accurate, I would vote that not only did Jesus not have his own scrolls to read, additionally it was surprising that he could read and expound scriptures as the present crowd was surprised and offended by it.