GreaseSpot Cafe

Reasons for calling in sick

Shellon

Oh, gawd...

I'm the person who called in about getting sprayed by the skunk!

I'm not kidding...

I was living in a small house in Maine, sorta in the woods, it was sorta spring time, and it was around the time I was going through my divorce, etc. I was awoken in the wee hours of the morning one day thinking the damn house was on fire. There was this horrible burning smell - like nothing I've experienced in my life. I couldn't believe the smoke detectors didn't catch it. I jumped out of bed and ran like hell to the front of the house - it was a small ranch-style house.

But the further I got from the bedroom, the more it didn't smell like fire anymore...

It was....

SKUNK!

Holy cow! There was nothing like this ever! My eyes were watering, my nose was running - it was like one of the little buggers had mated with pepper spray and exploded outside of my bedroom windows - which were OPEN - thankyouverymuch. The smell permiated EVERYTHING - my clothes, my skin, younameit.

Yes, I called in sick that day! I couldn't stand the smell of me! I spent the day doing laundry, cleaning, and trying to air out the house. A caseload of Febreeze couldn't have helped this case! The smell lasted for over a week - my coworkers complained but what could I do? (I worked in a cubicle - they loved me for this!)

Life in Maine - what can I say?

So yes, if someone calls in sick because they got sprayed by a skunk I would certainly let them have the day!