GreaseSpot Cafe

sit- rightly divided?

Also Evan, could you speak a little about what worship is like at Brother Leonard's?

Clay,

The interpretation today was in regular English. The message was very dramatic. It listed about five blessings from God and each began, "Don't you know my people." It was like: Don't you know my people

I've called you. Don't you know my people I've . . ..

This Sunday was wild. The women just got back from a retreat and they were really fired up. The praise session went on so long they skipped the sermon. It was like James Brown's church in the "Blues Brothers" but add to the arm waving and wild dancing up and down the aisles - LOUD and STEADY howling.

For a while I just stood there staring like an anthropolgist but when the band dropped the playlist and went into hardcore Gospel my toes started tappn' and my hands started clappn'. It was a blast.

"Loud and steady howling"??? What the heck does howling have to do with praising God? Hate to sound judmental, but that's definitely not my cup of tea.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lovematters,

It looks quite a bit like Way style, but certainly without calling on people. The worship gifts are not "boxed in" with tight restrictions a-la Piffle. I experienced most of the messages as varied, spontaneous, creative, to the point and meaningful. In other words, I found it way the heck more genuine.

But the overall style is suffused with an emphasis on "decent & in order". On the other hand, sermon feedback (hearty "amen" or "hallelujah", etc) is practiced & encouraged, as well as general vocal expressions of praise. Brother Leonard moved in some pretty wild circles, having worked with Bill Branham (google him if you like a freakout!) and apparently came to his own conclusions about all that wild stuff. He could be quite uncompromising about it. Anyway, he's gone, and I'm not sure what things look like over there these days.

Thanks Evan. Since they did it sort of like the Way, I'm betting that we experienced the Wierwille version of the original.

Jerry,

I don't know what the explanation for the howling is. There was only two women doing it but one of them had a pair of pipes like an opera singer and could howl a long time without taking a breath. It's scary at first but then it just blends in with all the other sights and sounds.

I see sexual overtones in much of the service but I'm like that.

Jerry,

Not sure of what was all going on there.

But i do know of some personal experiences

without the group thing going on.

Very different then what you said there.

In a group emotions can run very high in a situation like that.

Don't get the howling thing myself.

But I don't know everything...

Clay