GreaseSpot Cafe

What is Heaven?

Belle

I really liked this special! It was very interesting to hear all the different views, beliefs and teachings that people have about Heaven.

I was kinda put off by the "celebrity" interviews about Heaven - I hate the way people give someone credibility just because they are a celebrity. Although, I did enjoy watching Richard Geer and he came across much better to me than I expected, though.

I was fascinated to hear the people speak who died and think they went to heaven. I don't have enough information to decide either way on it, but I can tell those people believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that it happened (and I loved that the one lady said there were dogs & cats all up and down the staircase going up into the light of Heaven.)

I thought the Quest camp for kids was really neat and liked how they teach the kids logical thinking techniques. I've been reading "Why People Believe Wierd Things" and the beginning of the book is about logical thinking and deductions. Some of it was over my head, but I learned a great deal and wish I had learned these sorts of things when I was younger.

I did enjoy watching her with the Dali Lama and was really "surprised" (?) at his laid back nature and really liked his answers. It was very enlightening about him and his religion as I had been very wrong in a lot of the things I thought they believed.

I thought I was going to be out when it came on and had started to tape it but turned it off when I realized I was going to be home. I wish now that I had taped it anyway. I'd like to watch it again.

I did enjoy watching her with the Dali Lama and was really "surprised" (?) at his laid back nature and really liked his answers. It was very enlightening about him and his religion as I had been very wrong in a lot of the things I thought they believed.

The movie Seven Years in Tibet was about the relationship between the Dali Lama and an "outsider" during WWII. I'm not sure how accurate the movie was, but it showed the Dali Lama as a person that craved companionship instead of the one up on a pedistal.

seems like it was a really great show

cant wait to read about it, unfortunately we dont get that show here in the UK

so please discuss in detail lol :dance:

Well one thing is for sure folks...Baghdad is NOT heaven!

I couldn't watch the show either Marypoppins so don't feel bad.

Heck, I always liked Barbra Walters...

"I like the way she talks"...ala Karl on Sling BLade...LOL

Enough silliness! It's like the Word says, "everyone has a song" In this case everyone has an idea how to get to heaven.

"Thanks God for making me a citizen"!

Have a very Merry Christmas EVERYONE!

If you would like your polictically correct version...visit your local secular retailer this holiday season.

Something tells me I've mispelled some words in here, but oh well!

see y'all around the chatroom

John, Smokey, OFM

It was a really interesting show, I think. She interviewed a wide variety of people - leaders in the Evangelical Christian movement, the Jewis Community, the "typical" Christian Community, Muslims, Hindu, Buddhist, Athiest.....

I got a different perspective and learned something new about each group that I had no clue about during this show. It was very tastefully done and, imo, not offensive to anyone. Each group was given a fair and balanced report and it wasn't done to prove or disprove any one group or belief - it was really just an expose on the many variations of heaven and who gets there. Laid it all out and left it to the viewer to decide, if they feel there needs to be a decision. :)

I'll write more on it later. I do wish I had copied it, because I know I would gladly take the time to type up some quotes from it. I haven't gone to ABCs website, but I suspect it's possible to order a copy of the show or a transcript anyway. I may do that after Christmas.

A man decided to write a book about famous churches around the world. So he bought a plane ticket and took a trip to Orlando, thinking that he would start by working his way across the USA from South to North.

On his first day he was inside a church taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read "$10,000 per call". The man, being intrigued, asked a priest who was strolling by what the telephone was used for. The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 you could talk to God. The man thanked the priest and went along his way.

Next stop was in Atlanta. There, at a very large cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it. He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone he saw in Orlando and he asked a nearby nun what its purpose was. She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 he could talk to God.

"O.K., thank you," said the man. He then traveled to Indianapolis, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston, and New York. In every church he saw the same golden telephone with the same "$10,000 per call" sign under it.

The man, upon leaving New York decided to travel out near the mason dixon line to see if middle southern states had the same phone.

He arrived in Arkansas, and again, in the first church he entered, there was the same golden telephone, but this time the sign under it read "40 cents per call." The man was surprised so he asked the priest about the sign.

"Father, I've traveled all over America and I've seen this same golden telephone in many churches. I'm told that it is a direct line to Heaven, but in the east and south the price was $10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?

The priest smiled and answered, "You're in Arkansas now, son it's a local call".