GreaseSpot Cafe

James Dungy

johniam

Medical examiner: 4-6 weeks to determine cause of Dungy's death

December 23, 2005

LUTZ, Fla. (AP) -- A medical examiner's preliminary report Friday confirmed that the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy took his own life, although the cause of death will not be determined for four to six weeks.

Dr. Jacqueline Lee released the findings and said there was no evidence of foul play. Lee ordered a toxicology study, and until it is finished the cause and manner of James Dungy's death are listed as pending.

His girlfriend found him unresponsive early Thursday, Hillsborough County Sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said. Carter said evidence at the scene indicated he had killed himself.

A sheriff's deputy performed CPR before an ambulance took him to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Tony Dungy took the team plane from Indianapolis to Tampa, Fla., where he had coached the Buccaneers from 1996-01. He has taken leave from the team, which is 13-1 and will be coached by assistant Jim Caldwell for Saturday's game at Seattle.

My God, it's bad enough that it was an 18 yr old, an apparent suicide, and this close to Christmas, but how's that team supposed to play. Why would an 18 yr old do that? Could someone have murdered him and made it look like a suicide? Poor Tony Dungy.

Knowing how close the Dungy family is and how much they value their relationship with God, I know that in this time of extreme grief that they will pull together and be comforted by family and friends. Though I don't know the Dungy family personally, I have seen Tony at church while he was coach down in Tampa, since 1 Buc Place was right across the street from Without Walls and know of his devotion to God. I pray that the family can somehow make sense of this and find some kind of comfort that some day they will see James in heaven.

Moony