Non-biblical Sources of TWI Practices & Theology:

jkboehme

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. I just read this thread for the first time today. There's some good info here, for sure.

For what it's worth, I think VPW was definitely a product of the New Thought movement. But I think its influence on him came more through the work and writings of different men and women who like Kenyon, were interested in synthesizing the basics of the metaphysical with biblical christianity.

VP spoke many times of different influences on his life and "ministry." Such as:

The writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson

Glenn Clark and Camps Farthest Out

The writings of Emmett Fox

The poetry of Ella Wheeler Wilcox

The Books of James Allen

Albert Cliffe

and I'm sure there are more that can be added to the list.

All of these men and women were poster children for the "New Thought" movement.

At some point while I was in-rez, a bunch of us corps even went to the Unity Headquarters in Kansas City, because VP was such an admirer of theirs. I can't remember much about the trip to Unity, except that we went. (Sorry, old age must be kidnapping my memory. :wink2: ) Maybe one of my former comrades remembers that trip better than I.

Anyway, it was obvious to me when I first left TWI and started investigating the whole New Thought thing, (at the suggestion of JAL, by the way) where VP got alot of his ideas.

And it sure is alot easier to get information from the Internet. In the late 80's, it was a lot harder to put some of these things together. But now all ya gotta do is a google search.

Ain't technology grand?

And thanks for all the info you've put together, jkb. Good stuff.

Edited by ex10

ex10,

You are right-on!

Later on, I will get into the New Thought Movement from originator P.P. Quimby {~! 1830} to the immediate proximate authors and movments that lazy VPW plagiarized.

Interesting that JAL suggested this to you. I came upon it several years ago by tracing down bibliographical references and then reading those, etc.