GreaseSpot Cafe

printing from a website

excathedra

Exie-

On most those pages, I can select the text I want, without the ads by highlighting it with my mouse, then I copy <Control C> and then paste <control V> into Word or Wordpad.

Another way is to highlight what I want, and then tell my printer to print the "Selection only", if you know how to do that.

There are likely other ways, but that works for me when I am in a hurry.

I use Internet Explorer (with all due respect to the Firefox and Opera users out there)...I think the problem is with how some web pages are set up, not with the browser.

If the text of the web page is set up as paragraphs, there is generally no problem. The text will wrap around. However, a lot of times, the web page is set up as a table with a defined width, in pixels. This allows the page designer to control exactly how the text is displayed, regardless of the size of the browser window. If the table is set up so that it is too wide, your text will be cut off on the right hand side, or you may miss complete columns. If you copy and paste the web page into your word processing program, the entire table will be pasted into the program...and it will retain the same, basic formatting. So that won't work.

There are three things you can do at this juncture:

1. If you need only the text, you can do the following:

When you are within the web page, type Ctrl-A (to select all the text) and Ctrl-C (to copy the text into your clipboard). Then go to your word processor and, instead of hitting Ctrl-V (or the 'paste' button), find the command that will allow you to paste the text as unformatted text. In MS-Word, that is Alt-E-S, which opens up a menu and then you select "unformatted text" and click the OK button. That will get the text over, by itself.

2. If you need the text and the formatting (including pictures, graphs, and so on), the easy thing to do is to the following:

[File][Print Preview...] in order to check to see if the text will run off the right side. If it won't, then go ahead and print. If it will, then close the print preview window, and click [File][Page Setup...] and click the "Landscape" radio button. Then go back to [File][Print Preview...] and check again. Your text should no longer run off the right side. You can then click the [Print] button on the top of the preview page and print without incident.

3. If you need the text, formatting, and it must be in "Portrait" orientation, you will have to do as before,

When you are within the web page, type Ctrl-A (to select all the text) and Ctrl-C (to copy the text into your clipboard). Then go to your word processor and type Ctrl-V (or the 'paste' button). You will then have to adjust the width of the table columns until all the content fits inside your page width. How you do that is dependent upon your word processor program. In general, you should be able to select the table that was pasted over and then play with the margins using the ruler at the top of the word processor window.

Sorry I didn't see this last night, but hope it helps.