GreaseSpot Cafe

Relationship of Faith & Reason

T-Bone

What is the relationship of faith and reason? I read about a contrast between blind faith and biblical faith in "Smart Faith: Loving Your God with All Your Mind" by J.P. Moreland & Mark Matlock. "Faith is now understood as a blind act of will – a decision to believe something independent of reason or as a simple choice while ignoring the lack of evidence for what is believed. In contrast, biblical faith is a power or skill to act in accordance with the nature of the kingdom, a trust in what we have reason to believe is true. This is faith built on reason."

Let me get my bs out of the way – then discuss amongst yourselves. I'd like to get some Café feedback on this one. I try to find analogies to help me understand something but I'm hard pressed with faith and reason. I imagine their influence as a pilot and passenger periodically trading places on a plane. Sometimes faith is flying the plane and reason is a passenger. Sometimes reason is flying the plane and faith is a passenger. What are your thoughts on faith and reason?

Interesting topic.

I think the answer is a hearty "both". Faith, by nature, is believing something without direct evidence. Yet, that does not exclude a foundation built on evidence, both personally (based on past performance, I may reasonably expect...) and logically (if it says all this, then surely...).

Nevertheless, the greatest tangible thatbirths faith is revelation. It is why Jesu sends the Holy Spirit. To reveal the Lord unto us. Faith is the natural result of having a revelation in your spirit.

blind faith is a term i don't understand

cuz there is an idea or concept that is the subject

believing without seeing-without seeing what?

it is seen in the mind

a gut feeling

intuition

a sense of something

thoughts that are believed to be true

reason supports faith imo

cuz reason is seen also in the mind

and this grows and builds

What is the relationship of faith and reason? I read about a contrast between blind faith and biblical faith in "Smart Faith: Loving Your God with All Your Mind" by J.P. Moreland & Mark Matlock. "Faith is now understood as a blind act of will – a decision to believe something independent of reason or as a simple choice while ignoring the lack of evidence for what is believed. In contrast, biblical faith is a power or skill to act in accordance with the nature of the kingdom, a trust in what we have reason to believe is true. This is faith built on reason."

Let me get my bs out of the way – then discuss amongst yourselves. I'd like to get some Café feedback on this one. I try to find analogies to help me understand something but I'm hard pressed with faith and reason. I imagine their influence as a pilot and passenger periodically trading places on a plane. Sometimes faith is flying the plane and reason is a passenger. Sometimes reason is flying the plane and faith is a passenger. What are your thoughts on faith and reason?

Fides et Ratio -- there are some remarkable insights in the linked document that might provide you some beneficial information.

My thought on the process is that Faith illuminates reason. It guides it and shapes it. On the other hand, superstition blinds reason. It blocks it and squashes it. Faith and reason, working together, pursue truth. Superstition, working in opposition to reason, keep us in error.

Someone on here, and I apologize for not being able to give proper credit, said that faith is better translated "trust". I can understand that better.

If God is our heavenly father and I'm supposed to trust him to take care of me and remember that sometimes it's not always int he way that I might expect, I can "get" that. My Daddy always takes care of me and I never once questioned his ability to do so. Remember as kids how our Daddies were super heros in our eyes and there was nothing he couldn't do? That's how God is, too, only we never realize the "non super hero" status of God. I never knew for sure HOW Daddy was going to save me when I got into sticky situations, but I knew that he would - Same thing with God.

Now, my Daddy expected me to use my brain, use my own reasoning skills, common sense and things I learned from he and Mama to stay out of trouble. God expects us to use our own reasoning skills as well.

This may be too elementary and it may not be exactly what you're discussing, so I apologize if that's the case. Jesus said we were to be child like in our believing, so this is my simplistic child-like explanation and I've found myself getting more like that when it comes to God, the Bible, religion, etc.... I think we tried too hard to make things "elite", difficult and uber intelligent sounding in TWI and totally missed the simplicity of the truth.