GreaseSpot Cafe

confess

CM

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

confess

3034 yadah { yaw-daw’}

a primitive root, used only as denominative from 3027; TWOT - 847; v

AV - praise 53, give thanks 32, confess 16, thank 5, make confession 2, thanksgiving 2, cast 1, cast out 1, shoot 1, thankful 1; 114

GK - 3343 { hd;y:

} & 3344 { hd;y:

1) to throw, shoot, cast

1a) (Qal) to shoot (arrows)

1b) (Piel) to cast, cast down, throw down

1c) (Hiphil)

1c1) to give thanks,, laud, praise

1c2) to confess, confess (the name of God)

1d) (Hithpael)

1d1) to confess (sin)

1d2) to give thanks

Romans 10:9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved

confess is the same as 1John 1:9

mouth

4750 stoma { stom’-a}

probably strengthened from a presumed derivative of the base of 5114; TDNT - 7:692,1089; n n

AV - mouth 73, face 4, edge 2; 79

GK - 5125 { stovma }

1) the mouth, as part of the body: of man, of animals, of fish, etc.

1a) since thoughts of a man’s soul find verbal utterance by his mouth, the “heart” or “soul” and the mouth are distinguished

2) the edge of a sword

interesting huh

this is not doctrine-this is for consideration and reflection

Leviticus 5:5 And it shall be, when he shall be guilty in one of these things, that he shall confess that he hath sinned in that thing: 6And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the LORD for his sin which he hath sinned, a female from the flock, a lamb or a kid of the goats, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his sin.

Lufe 12:8Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God

then ther is confession to look at

all very interesting, word studies help in reflection and enlightenment

yadah yadah yadah :)

Edited by CM

An interesting subject...as there are those who would have you believe that we no longer need to confess anything (declare any of our sins and express regret for the same) anymore because of Christ's actions.

However, a study would quickly show that Christ's passion and death had little to do with the need for confession, but rather provided the real propitiation -- payment -- for the sins, as the sacrifice of animals alluded to, under the mosaic law.

The Roman thing is to confess to a priest, which would only help the confessor sort of, but to confess to the one or ones wronged would be much more beneficial and bring closure.

You are partially right...and partially wrong.

The sacrament of reconcilliation consists of three distinct phases:

- The first 'phase' is called Contrition. During this phase, the penitent examines his conscience thoroughly, meaning that he reflects upon his actions in light of the Word of God. The penitent then becomes aware of where he has fallen short. (If you'd like to discuss the difference between mortal and venial sin, I'd be happy to but won't right now so as not to prolong the post). The goal of this phase (which, ideally, is a continuing thing) is to gain sorrow for those points at which you have fallen short. In addition, because of the fact that the penitent has this sorrow, he also must make a resolution not to fall into that trap of sin again.

- The second 'phase' is called Confession. During this phase, the penitent confesses his sins (1 Jo 1:9). Ideally, this confession is done sacramentally before one of the successors of the apostles (Matt 16:19, Matt 18:18, John 20:23) or one appointed and deputized to assist those successors. However, in the event that a sacramental confession is not available in that fashion, and if one has perfect contrition (sorrow for the sins due to the fact that they are offensive to God and out of pure love for God), that confession can be made in the silence of one's own heart. A sacramental confession should still be made. The reason being is that the successors to the apostles, and by extension, those empowered by those successors, have been given the power of binding and loosing (see the vv cited above).

- The third phase (and, CWF, this is what you were talking about) is called the "satisfaction." In this phase, where possible, the penitent is encouraged and charged with making right the wrong. If he stole something, he's encouraged to return it. If he lied, he's encouraged to go back and set the record straight. If he's damaged something, he's encouraged to repair it. And so on. And yes, certain prayers are also prescribed (go pay the man for the window you broke and say three Hail Mary's and two Our Fathers). The reason for the prayers being prescribed is in an effort to heal the spiritual damage done. By turning one's heart toward God in prayer, it makes a way for God to heal the internal damage that sin does to each of us.

Am I trying to say that this is the way that it goes all the time? No. Am I trying to say that all "penitents" take it seriously and understand what they're doing? Hardly. Am I saying it's taught properly all the time? Of course not.

But it is one of the greatest graces that Our Lord left His Church.

• 2 weeks later...

As a Catholic, I love the sacrament of reconciliation (what they now call the previousy styled confession).

I find that it really helps keep me humble, and further clears the way for me to confess to those I have wronged.

Another nice thing this sacrament does is to keep me ever aware of my sins, rather than others'. When you go to confesssion, you just never confess someone else's sins, only your own. That's the challenge of personal accountability. (I have never tried to confess someone else's sins in there -- Father forgive my husband he has sinned.... I don't think that would work.)

Hopefully,