GreaseSpot Cafe

Dennis Weaver

Pirate1974

LOS ANGELES - Dennis Weaver, the slow-witted deputy Chester Goode in the TV classic western "Gunsmoke" and the New Mexico deputy solving New York crime in "McCloud," has died. The actor was 81.

Weaver died of complications from cancer Friday at his home in Ridgway, in southwestern Colorado, his publicist Julian Myers said.

LOS ANGELES - Dennis Weaver, the slow-witted deputy Chester Goode in the TV classic western "Gunsmoke" and the New Mexico deputy solving New York crime in "McCloud," has died. The actor was 81.

Weaver died of complications from cancer Friday at his home in Ridgway, in southwestern Colorado, his publicist Julian Myers said.

Wow. I had forgotten all about him. But he was in lots of shows even going back to the 50s. Frankly I'm amazed that he even had a publicist because I was so sure that he had been inactive for years but his imdb.com link shows he was active up until last year and he even did a voice over in a 2002 episode of The Simpsons.

I use to love to imitate Chester beginning at age 4. In a high pitched nasaly kind of drawl I would yell "Marshall Dillon while walking dragging one leg. I remember when Gunsmoke would come on, Grandma would let me ride the arm of the sofa as my horse and Uncle Ernie (who always threatened to flush me down the commode just to hear me gurgle) would lend me his pipe for a gun. Whoa just dated myself.

Dennis Weaver was on a celebrity "Weakest Link" episode a few years ago. He didn't win, but he was very good natured about getting the Anne Robinson treatment.

I did not know that Spielberg directed that movie "Duel" he was in. I watched that movie tripping. Not a good idea.

Edited by johniam

Dennis Weaver was on a celebrity "Weakest Link" episode a few years ago. He didn't win, but he was very good natured about getting the Anne Robinson treatment.

I did not know that Spielberg directed that movie "Duel" he was in. I watched that movie tripping. Not a good idea.

I was trying to remember the name of that movie John. Thanks. It is probably one of the worst movies but evey time I run across it I watch it. :) LOL on tripping.............it makes you paronoid when your straight.