GreaseSpot Cafe

Different Denominations

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

On another thread is a poll about different denominations/religions/ sects/cults. For those who are interested

about these groups as relates to doctrine, worship, polity(church structure), etc. The following 4 books may answer your questions. Handbook on Denominations in the United States(Canada has eqivalent groups) by Frank Mead, 12th edition from Abingdon/Cokesbury(United Methodist); Unathorized Guide to chosing a church by Carmen Renee Berry from Brazos Press; Complete Idiot's Guide to Christianity by Jeffery Webb from Alpha/Penguin Books; and Honoring Our Neighbor's Faith by Robert Buckley Farlee from Augsburg/Fortress Press(Lutheran). This is in response to ckmkeon and his parents about their tirade against Roman Catholicism, and especially against Mark O'Malley and Coolchief.As I said in that post and in pm to ckmkeon to get better information before making false statements.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

The books I mentioned line up denominations according to families. Ex. Lutherans include Evangelical Lutheran Church in America(5 million), Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod with 3 Mil., Wisconsin Evangelical

Lutheran Synod-1 million, Evangelical Lutheran Synod(Norwegian Eliesen), Federantion of Free Evangelical

Lutheran Congregations, General Protestant Conference, Lutheran Church of the Augsburg Confession,

Lutheran Church Brethern, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, Inter-Lutheran Synodical Conference, just to name a few in the United States(not counting Canada). Also Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults would be strongly recomended, which includes Moon's Unification Church, Scientology, and a brief mention of TWI.

Spiros Zodiates updated the material. Going back to the other 4 books, Catholic includes Holy Roman, Liberal, Old, Polish National, Uniate. Orthodox includes Greek, Russian, Serbian, Ukranian, Coptic, Nestorian/

Ancient Church of the East. Baptist includes Southern, Free-will, General, National, Progressive, Seventh-Day, American/Northern. And this is only a small example of what these books communicate to those interested in such things.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

ckmkeon and others like MDVardan,Oldies, Mike, Jonathiam, etc. I strongly suggest that you purchase the 5 books I mentioned which is more fair and balanced than Fox News on this topic and as Bill O'Reilly would say, no bloviating, please.