GreaseSpot Cafe

Mountain Bikes

Cowgirl

I want to incorporate some mountainbiking with my running, you know, crosstraining, so I've been looking around alittle bit for a decent mountainbike. It doesn't matter to me if it's a guy's or girls bike, bar or no bar, I'd like the frame to be lightweight in case I need to carry it over something but yet strong enough to stand up to some abuse cause some of the trails that I run on are pretty rugged. And I don't want to go over $400.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Cowgirl

i know this sounds wacko but deserted bikes are found all over every town and the police keep them for a while then either sell or give them away

in my town our club gets 5 or 6 of them each year

we tune them up and give them to some deserving kids in the area

some of these bikes are upper end mnt bikes

just a thought :beer:

My only way around is via mountain bike or wheelchair since we don't have a car. My bike cost 1500 and that was with a hefty discount due to being friends with the shop owner. I see the same bike online for 2800. This is for the frame first, then he built the bike from there, which is the only way I'd consider having one to ride. Bikes that come premade are normally cheaper, but you get what you pay for and trust me, if you are planning on riding more than a couple of miles a day, it's worth paying the extra to get a bike that is lightweight, able to withstand city and rough riding and be kind to your body at the same time. My bike weighs total about 5 pounds.

Make sure you get one that at least has shocks on the front, but that won't really give you a pleasant ride. You really need a full suspension bike if you want to not feel every bump and rock you encounter while out there. (OK, I did feel the curbs I jumped yesterday a little and my shoulders are reminding me of them every time I move today, but that was my own fault for doing it. LOL. I tend to give it my all when I ride.) If you can't afford a full suspension, then get one of the seats that has a shock absorber type thing below the seat on the pole it attaches to the bike with. They really help the ride be smoother and I used one on my old bike which only had front suspension. It still was no where near the comfort of the bike I have now.

I have the Santa Cruz Juliana. The frame is made especially for women. It has a shorter base so we don't have to stretch our body to reach the handlebars. I also got rid of the torture seat from hell that most bikes come with these days and always ride with what I call a fat butt seat. They are wider and nicely padded so when you spend a few or more hours riding, you don't get a sore bottom. I raise the handlebars up as far as they will go too so I am not forced down to reach them, which will end up making your back and shoulders sore if you aren't riding to race.

You can probably go with a cheaper derailer since you don't plan on racing and get wheels in the mid range for price for the same reason. Make sure the tires are good and sturdy with a lot of 'bumps' on them so you get good traction. Also make sure they are close together, so you don't get caught going over uneven surfaces and get tossed off the bike. (Yep, found out the hard way on an older bike years ago and broke my foot after a couple of good falls on a new set of tires, which ended up being returned the next day.)

Here is a pic of my bike. Thanks again Sharon, I praise your name every time I am out riding it. :)

NewBike3.jpg

If you look at the right side of my glasses (as you look at the pic) you can see a round black object. That is my rear view mirror. I won't ride without it and it's saved my butt from getting run over by cars (they rarely watch for bikers) more times than I can count. You can get them for 10 bucks or less at most good bike stores. They come either for glasses or for helmets if you don't wear specs. I run a side mirror too for added safety. A decent pair of gloves with the palms gel padded run 40 to 50 bucks and they really save wear and tear on your hands when you ride for hours and press against the handlebars. I also find the leather palm on them are great for getting a good grip on the wheels of my wheelchair and help me control it easier, so they have a dual purpose in my case.

Ignore the lock, those aren't the best kind, I'm only using that one until I can afford to get a pair of the handcuff locks they make. They are around 100 bucks and are almost impossible to cut thru or be picked open. We've lost 2 bikes and a scooter from other types of locks over the years and the handcuff ones are the only type that have kept us from losing any other loved possessions on wheels. Until I get mine, I don't ride alone and either hubby or I stay outside a store with our bikes while the other one goes inside to ensure no one can get them.

To keep my pants from getting caught in the sprockets I have a reflective strap I wrap around the bottom of them that attaches with velcro. I'm not sure what they cost, mine was a gift from the bike shop owner years ago, but I don't think they are very expensive.

Some bike stores sell 2nd hand bikes and you can find some good deals. They go quick though, so you may have to keep checking in or have them call you when they get a bike in that's your size.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I really don't think you will find anything decent to ride at the cost you said. My original bike I got 8 yrs ago I went cheap on to make sure I'd enjoy riding and while it was only 500 bucks, it was so heavy I couldn't really ride far due to all the weight, nor could I pick it up and carry it anywhere.

Please feel free to drop me a line in PM if I can help you with getting your new bike. If I don't know the answer, I can easily call Erik, the owner of the store I deal with and get his professional opinion. He's very knowledgeable and is the type to teach new riders all he can to help them make informed choices on equipment for their bike.

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

• 2 weeks later...

I totally forgot about this thread, been busy with stuff around here, but I sure appreciate all the info you guys posted! Bikerbabe, thanks for all what you shared, it's a goldmind of info, you've given me alot to think about and by the way, that's a cute picture of you !!

Later...............

Cowgirl