GreaseSpot Cafe

Slumberin' on the Cumberland

bowtwi

The 5 year anniversary of the passing of John Hartford's passing is in a little over a month. I participate in a forum of his fans. There are some plans to celebrate his life and I thought this might be one some of us here would like to attend. I'm definitely going. I can't wait! :spy:

Here's what's posted on johnhartford.org :dance:

"The fifth anniversary of John's passing is coming up soon. I mentioned a couple months back on a post on the Goodledays forum some ideas on ways to honor John's life and his music. The one that I liked the best, and now I've got some folks interested in doing it with me, is a canoe float on the Cumberland, with the float passing by John's old house on the river. It would be the June 3rd & 4th weekend. We could establish a meeting place for Saturday morning somewhere along the river. I will research a good put in and take out. I think a 2 to 4 hour float would work well. It of course would take us past John's house on the Cumberland.

We could picnic & jam during the float, or afterwards. I would want us to have a good n' loud boom box so everyone in Nashville can hear John's music. We need a recording of a steam whistle to play as we pass by his house. Those that are interested, drop me an email. I want to keep the costs down so that as many people can make it as possible. It can be a family event with kids also. I would also plan a visit to John & Marie's gravesite. I have been there, so I think I can find it without too much difficulty. I'm hoping to find a few musicians that can join us on the celebration. I am open for some volunteers to do research on a place to camp, and inexpensive sleeping accommodations. It is also necessary to find out about canoe or small boat rentals in the area.

I'm posting this on my site (johnhartford.org), reeltime travelers forum & the goodledays forum. If you know of other places that are Hartford friendly such as banjo or fiddle forums, please copy & post.

Bring your instruments & life vests and let's party."

Sorry, I've been away since before 6:00 this morning (field trip to the Omaha Zoo in the rain - surprisingly fabulous day!) or I would have answered you sooner.

Yes, John Hartford was the lone banjo picker on Laugh-In, and played on the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour (I think it was called), as well as the writer of Gentle On My Mind.

You may remember him better as the singer/songwriter of the classics "Boogie" (Hey Babe, Ya Wanna Boogie? Boogie woogie woogie with me...) and "Don't Leave Your Records in the Sun" (They'll warp and they won't be good for anyone...)

Back when ChattyK had that megathread on music history, I think I remember several GSers mentioning enjoying his music. That's why I started this thread.

:dance:

Tomorrow after I've slept I'll post more.

John-Hartford.jpg

db_John_Hartford1.jpg

John was a musician, songwriter, steamboat pilot, author, artist, disc jockey, calligrapher, dancer, folklorist, father, and historian. Luckily, he never needed a business card.

Born in New York on December 30, 1937, John Hartford grew up in St. Louis. At an early age, he fell in love with two things: music and the Mississippi River. They were passions that would last his lifetime, and their pursuit would be his life's passage.

He recorded over thirty albums, and was a featured guest on such pivotal records as Sweethearts of the Rodeo by the Byrds and Mudslide Slim by James Taylor. He was a frequent guest and contributor to The Glen Campbell Good Time Hour and The Smothers Brothers Show on CBS television. He added music and narration for Ken Burns' landmark Civil War series, and was an integral part of "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" and the "Down From The Mountain" concert tour.

In 1967, John's song, Gentle On My Mind earned four Grammy awards. Hartford would take home two awards that night, one as the writer and one for his own 'contemporary folk' recording of the song. The other two went to Glen Campbell who had heard Hartford's version on the radio and decided to record it. Campbell's rendition became an instant classic, and the song became one of the most recorded and performed songs of all time, covered by everyone from Elvis to Aretha.

Hartford often said that Gentle On My Mind bought his freedom. He used that freedom to explore his various creative curiosities, and was usually happy to take his friends along on the trip.

John Hartford became mentor and mystic for a generation of pickers, singers, and songwriters. His landmark record, Steampowered Aereoplane (1971) documented his work with Vassar Clements, Norman Blake, and Tut Taylor. Rooted firmly in tradition but sprouting at the top with hippie hair, the group's instrumental mastery and free-wheeling style bridged a musical gap between traditional bluegrass and a progressive new audience, making every song a cult favorite and every live performance the thing of legend. According to Sam Bush, "Without Aeroplane (and the Aereoplane band), there would be no 'newgrass' music."

In 1976, John won another Grammy award for his contemporary folk masterpiece, Mark Twang. The album featured another great set of quirky river-centric original songs, presented in stripped down arrangements, typically featuring only Hartford accompanying himself on banjo, fiddle, or guitar while tapping his feet on an ampl;ified sheet of plywood. The combination was magical, and would become his trademark sound for many years as a solo act.

Those summer days might find him piloting the Julia Belle Swain on her afternoon run, before entertaining the passengers at night. During festival season, his amazing instinct for single-handedly captivating an audience would often have him leaving the stage and leading a processional of joyful dancers through the grounds, like a fiddle-playing pied piper. As the showbill said, "He plays banjo, and fiddle, and guitar, and his head, and his feet, and with your mind."

Later in his career, he would revisit different ensemble configurations, recording and touring with his son, Jamie, and with various incarnations of the John Hartford String Band. At his house overlooking the Cumberland river, John continued to write, record, and fill his hours with music. Already a published author ("Steamboat in a Cornfield"), Hartford also developed an extensive manuscript on the life and music of fiddler, Ed Haley. In 2001, he was awarded a Grammy award for his immense contribution to the soundtrack of "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". His bittersweet appearance on the subsequent "Down From The Mountain" tour was immortalized in the concert film. He died on June 4, 2001.

For the 63 years that he danced among us, John Hartford was student, author, and incarnation of the American songbook. He was both innovator and preservationist, historian and history maker. He lives on in his lovely children and grandchildren, his legacy of music and song, and his legions.

Edited by dmiller

John was the salt of the earth. :)

He took time out from an autograph signing session, to show me how he tuned his banjo,

to the unique Bb tuning he used. :)

That was in Ashland, Wisconsin, about 5 years before he passed.

He and two or three others on stage ----

put on a concert like you wouldn't believe!!

The man was a legend!

...skippin' in the Mississippi dew

This is one of my favorites fro John...

I had the pleasure years ago to sit in with Doc & Merle Watson

Sounds like John (we've never met) was a true gentleman like Doc'

dmiller, thanks for your post...Bb tuning sounds interesting

John...aka Smokey...aka oilfieldmedic

Edited by oilfieldmedic