GreaseSpot Cafe

Dark Side of the Moon

GT

This week, Pink Floyd's landmark album "Dark Side of the Moon" notches a significant milestone: 1,500 weeks on the Billboard charts (The Billboard 200 and Top Pop Catalog Albums).

In an exclusive Billboard Q&A, Roger Waters, the band's former frontman, dishes on the album that changed his band forever and made his wife cry.

Full article here: Roger Waters Revisits The 'Dark Side'

Very cool article.

Dave Gilmour better think hard about putting Pink Floyd behind him. His new album is not all that great.

I saw Dark Side of the Moon in 1973 in Providence and then a few months later in Maryland. I'd like to get the 5.1 disc, but my system doesn't do the SACD format.

I would love to see Roger Waters perform Dark Side in France this July. Too bad there's a better chance of TWI getting me back than me getting to France.

Would be nice if Waters and Gilmore got along a little better. I think both of them have a bit too much ego although it looks like Waters has mellowed out lately. They don't realize how much better they both sound together than separately.

I remember listening to an interview of Waters in 89. He was suing Gilmore and the others to prevent them from using the name Pink Floyd for their group. Apparently he lost. Their first album after the split was scrapped and totally redone, after they had already thrown over $1 million at it. Didn't sound like Pink Floyd enough so they hired a group of writers to imitate Waters' song writing. I never could get into these albums. Couldn't get past the plastic feeling knowing what they were doing.

I was amazed to see them playing together last year. Waters looked like he was really enjoying himself. Gilmore looked annoyed.

:offtopic: Okay - maybe this is just a little off topic - but it ties in - I swear!...In the movie The Squid and the Whale the son of a writer passes off an old Pink Floyd tune as his own at a school assembly...When confronted later by a school official who figures that out - the kid says something like "well I could have written it" - when it was pointed out he wasn't even around when it was written he said "a mere technicality."

Dark Side of the Moon is a teenage rite of passage.

Every teenager, especially boys, seem to go thru a Pink Floyd stage. Perhaps it appeals to the "angry young man" - who know - but it will always be discovered like no other generation ever knew about it before.

The Wall, Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, et al - what great music! I still have the vinyls of those - don't want it digital. Pink Floyd is HI-FI stereo at its best - not digital, thank you.

Ryan and I cued up Dark Side of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz a few years back to see what all the hoopla was about. The most interesting confluences were the scene with Dorothy's house lifted up by the tornado, Toto jumping out of the lady dog catchers basket, the first appearance of the wicked witch and the cowardly lion.

Go 'Canes