GreaseSpot Cafe

For Wiccan Nev. Soldier, Death Brings Fight

markomalley

Nevada officials are pressing the Department of Veteran Affairs to allow the family of a soldier killed in Afghanistan to place a Wiccan symbol on his headstone.

Federal officials so far have refused to grant the requests of the family of Sgt. Patrick Stewart, 34, who was killed in Afghanistan last September when the Nevada Army National Guard helicopter he was in was shot down.

(remainder snipped)

Link here.

Now, in fairness, the article continues on to say that the state officials are trying to resolve the issue. There are already something like 38 symbols currently approved, including:

Christian (generic): emb-01.jpg

Christian (Russian Orthodox): emb-05.jpg

Muslim: emb-17.jpg

Atheist: emb-16.jpg (Didn't know you all had a symbol...)

Humanist: emb-32.jpg

and even...

Konko-Kyo: emb-19.jpg

but nothing for Wicca...

Now I realize this is all Bush's fault...but I ran into Wiccans pretty regularly throughout my entire career in the service. So I can't imagine that this hasn't come up before, in the 80s and 90s. If it was a Christian bias, why would they have all the other, non-Christian, non-Jewish, symbols authorized, including the ones I linked above?

Edited by markomalley

Maybe a good number of Wiccans aren't so concerned with making it "all Bush's fault" (presenting a good possibility of a false dilemna here, y'think?).

Perhaps they just want to be treated on an equal footing along with everybody else. And I believe that they wanted that long before the presidency was a gleam in Dubya's eye.

Also keep in mind that a good number of Christians (especially the staunch conservative ones) freak out over the witchcraft issue, particularly among those who overfocus on the so-called 'demons' therewith. Hell, when you still have not a few who still get bent out of shape as regards the fictional character Harry Potter ..... ??

<_<

Now I realize this is all Bush's fault...but I ran into Wiccans pretty regularly throughout my entire career in the service. So I can't imagine that this hasn't come up before, in the 80s and 90s. If it was a Christian bias, why would they have all the other, non-Christian, non-Jewish, symbols authorized</a>, including the ones I linked above?
Did someone say it was a Christian bias? With whom are you arguing?
Also keep in mind that a good number of Christians (especially the staunch conservative ones) freak out over the witchcraft issue, particularly among those who overfocus on the so-called 'demons' therewith. ...

they overfocus? so there should be some focus on the demons ... just don't overfocus?

Edited by rhino

Maybe a good number of Wiccans aren't so concerned with making it "all Bush's fault" (presenting a good possibility of a false dilemna here, y'think?).

But...but...but....Garth

I thought EVERYTHING was Bush's fault!!!! ((feigned horror at the possibility that he might not be blame-able for something)) :blink:

Perhaps they just want to be treated on an equal footing along with everybody else. And I believe that they wanted that long before the presidency was a gleam in Dubya's eye.

Also keep in mind that a good number of Christians (especially the staunch conservative ones) freak out over the witchcraft issue, particularly among those who overfocus on the so-called 'demons' therewith. Hell, when you still have not a few who still get bent out of shape as regards the fictional character Harry Potter ..... ??

<_<

No kidding, Garth... :asdf::asdf:

Did someone say it was a Christian bias? With whom are you arguing?

Nobody in particular; everybody in general.

There are enough folks out there who scream "Christian Bias" for everything...I figured I'd point the diversity of symbols that were already approved...and in use. Hopefully removing the argument (of course, in the case of Garth, he'll argue the point anyway :biglaugh: )

The Witches Voice(online mag) has been following this--I think the widow is filing a law suit.

Honestly, I don't support Wicca as a practice. But it is offensive to me to think that somebody's religious practice cannot be acknowledged on their headstone, regardless of what that practice is.

To the best of my knowledge, for those who can't have their chosen symbol inscribed, they may have a word or phrase.

When Dad died, we asked that a dove be inscribed on his gravestone at Calverton National Cemetary. Denied. But they did allow "Awaiting the Return". So we have that, and no symbol.

Honestly, I don't support Wicca as a practice. But it is offensive to me to think that somebody's religious practice cannot be acknowledged on their headstone, regardless of what that practice is.

I agree. The guy next to him sure won't be complaining. Geez.

• 2 weeks later...

When Dad died, we asked that a dove be inscribed on his gravestone at Calverton National Cemetary. Denied. But they did allow "Awaiting the Return". So we have that, and no symbol.

No Doves? OOOO them's fighting words Old Man Just give me their names and I'll leave a little symbol of my own on their family's markers. I'm sure it won't be approved either.

But...but...but....Garth

I thought EVERYTHING was Bush's fault!!!! ((feigned horror at the possibility that he might not be blame-able for something)) :blink:

No kidding, Garth... :asdf::asdf:

You were right the first time Mark...everything IS Bush's fault. That's gonna be the new religion that I start:

BIRFAT (Bush Is Responsible For All Troubles)

Our symbol will the flag of Texas hung upside down.

You were right the first time Mark...everything IS Bush's fault. That's gonna be the new religion that I start:

BIRFAT (Bush Is Responsible For All Troubles)

Our symbol will the flag of Texas hung upside down.

9222.jpg

Here's your poster child for your church's charity fund!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...