GreaseSpot Cafe

The Stanley Cup Finals

oenophile

I'm getting a little tired of stupid little sports pundits saying that it is too bad for hockey the year following the lockout that the Stanley Cup begins with home ice advantage to a team in a small market. Just for the record the RDU Triangle is a larger market than Green Bay but no one complains when the Packers make it to the Super Bowl.

Oops, puck drops in 1 minute. Later, Red Wings, Flyers, Rangers, Bruin, Kings, Blackhawk fans!

Tom,

Yes, Dwayne Roloson the Oilers netminder went down with a knee injury midway through the third period during a collision with 'Cane forward Ladd. He's out for the Series. That injury proved to be pivotal in the game and is thought to be critical for the rest of the Series. The Oiler fan next to me said that I could go home now assured that the 'Canes had won even though the game was tied at the time. The backup goalies aren't exactly puck magnets. Indeed, the game winning goal did come on a major lapse of judgment on an exchange behind the Edmonton net.

On a personal level, I feel for Roloson. I hope his knee heals completely. As a 'Cane fan, it would be not only unseemly but also crass to celebrate the injury.

oenophile said:

just for the record the RDU Triangle is a larger market than Green Bay but no one complains when the Packers make it to the Super Bowl.

____

Ya but the Packers have a long waiting list just to get season tickets. They have a passion for their team and sell out every game. Your team the Canes will probably win the Cup but you can't even sell out a playoff game. Oh, I know what OLN says about the game selling out but I guess they have to say that for publicity reasons. When we (Buffalo) played you in the last round over 4000 Buffalo fans went down to Carolina and got tickets for both your home games.. OLN never mentioned that.

One of our Buffalo morning sports talk shows actually called this past Monday morning to see if they could get tickets to the Finals in Carolina and according to ticketmaster there were still tickets available. You can't even sell out a Stanley Cup final game..sheesh..Buffalo fans would have sold out all the home games in advance in about 15 minutes if we would have made it to the finals. I can assure you Buffalos market is smaller than yours.

It's not the size of the market that matters when it come to hockey , its the love of the sport. I still feel hockey is and always will be a regional sport. When Buffalo was playing the Canes.. New York States market share was thru the roof. It's ratings were even higher than the Super Bowl. Northern US and Canada have a passion for the sport. Buffalo Sabres have many Canadian season ticket holders that also have season tickets to the Maple Leafs games . Hockey in Canada is bigger than life. They love the game.

So I guess for us hockey purists..we get a little frustrated when a team hoisting the cup will do it in a market that doesn't even sell out their playoff games.

Hope to see you next year for a re-match. :wave::wave:

Edited by Hills Bro

Sour grapes, Hills Bro?

What we Caniacs lack in numbers, we make up in passion. Three years ago, I couldn't tell the difference between icing and a cross check. I know now. I'm not alone. There is a Hockey 101 class an hour before each game. Kids are playing in hockey leagues all over Raleigh, which are supported in part by the 'Canes. Moms and Dads are watching their future 'Cane wannabes. The 'Canes are involved in charitible causes in the area. What does this mean? It's the beginning of a ravenous Hurricane Nation. Speaking of passion. Did you see the noise meter in game 7 of of the Eastern Finals...through the RBC Centre roof it was. Did you see the game last night. There was no lack of enthusasm there. Give us some time to establish a dynasty, which you have to admit this collection on 'Canes are capable of doing. Give us hardcore Caniacs some time to teach our basketball crazed area that the NHL playoffs is every bit as exciting as any Duke v. UNC hoops meeting. You will see the numbers in droves.

The Hurricanes have a commitment to our home state that they are here to play and here to stay. Raleigh was awash with the Hurricane team logo during the 'Canes 2002 Stanley Cup Finals appearance. I am sure that it is now is even more so. Given time the excitement will spread out from there like wildfire. The hoisting of Lord Stanleys Cup within the next few days by our beloved 'Canes will no doubt will light the tinder. Just you watch.

Carolina Hurricanes...the real America's Team.

Go 'Canes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you say sweep?

Sour Grapes? Your kidding right?

I respect your team..in fact you beat us fair and square. No excuses.

As far as the noise meter..funny how it was never used anywhere else.. Can't understand why it was never used in Buffalo or NJ or Montreal. I'm sure it would have register very high. Oh ya...publicity and marketing. Gotta get the ratings up in a small market area. OLN knows how to market the game.

I wouldn't count the Oilers out . Over confidence can be harmful. They beat some great teams to get where they are at..and their goalie didn't score any of the goals. As i recall they were down two nothin against the Sharks right or was it Detroit? I sure hope OLN brings that noise meter to Edmonton. Probably not..Edmonton doesn't really need to market hockey. They sell out their games.. regular season and playoff games.

Actually the only guy I can't stand on your team is Rod Bend-your-nose. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Edited by Hills Bro

Here in Dallas the Stars have sold out for years... and at a mighty steep price too... but other than the transplants and the Stars who live in town not many folks here are watching the Stanley Cup finals... we're not so much "hockey" fans as we are "Stars hockey" fans... and when the stars are playing we're rabid... and for the most part educated about the game... we learned long ago never to count the oilers out...

oh sure... there's the cocaine and boob job crowd that inhabits all sports venues here (except the stRangers, too hot)... but that's just Dallas...

There is another set of finals about to start that we're very interested in though... and I think we might just win them...

How about all those Flyers castoffs on the 'Canes!

:dance:

Brind'Amour & Williams come through!

Even though it was with a little help from an Edmonton goalie on crack. What was he thinking...

Last night was one of the better Finals games I've seen in years.

I hope this turns out to be a good series. Lord knows the NHL needs it.

now if I could smoehow rid the Flyers of that cancer Bob Clarke....

-T

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Where the H-E double hockey sticks was that noise meter last night. LOL !! Funny , when the Canes win they're a dynasty..when they lose Ol Rod Bendyournose blames the officials. What a whiner!!

Word has it that when Rod Bendyournose played in Philly he got caught boppin Eric Lindros's girlfriend.. Guess Eric is the one that bent Ol Rod's nose to the side? :redface::nono5:

Yes....

It was a bad game for old Roddy Proboscis & the 'Canes....

They were asleep at the stick...

Although Roddy's schnoze is one for the books, the NHL schnoze of schnoze's has to go to Tim Hunter...

Anyone remember him? I know all the old school hockey historians will. That nose was pounded by Dave Brown too many times for me to count... :dance:

Game three was close. Canes got into too many penaltys early on. Never got the momentum going, I guess.

Anyway, I don't feel so bad about the outcome. The 'Canes get to hoist the Cup in front of the Caniacs in Raleigh rather than an empty house in Edmonton.

Go 'Canes

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't know how many of you followed NWA Wrestling but Rick Flair was always a colorful character. He got his start doing the wrestling circuit in North Carolina in the 70's. Always controversial. Always colorful. When he would lay his opponent out with a body slam say...He would yell...WWWWOOOOOO. So on the Canes scoreboard in the RBC Center when the 'Canes score...on comes Ric Flair saying "thats a Carolina Hurricanes Goal...WWWWWOOOOOOO to which the delighted Caniacs respond WWWWOOOOOOO. This process repeats three times.