GreaseSpot Cafe

The Stanley Cup Finals

oenophile

A bitter loss. :(

It's critical that the 'Canes leave this heartbreaker in overtime behind and take back the momentum. They are the better team. The Oilers cannot beat them if they don't beat themselves. I hope Aaron Ward and Doug Weight are healthy after their injuries.

"The Lowell farm club could have played better."

I disagree.. It's not that the Canes played bad but the Oilers played great. They played a tough physical defensive trap game. Mike Peca was superb in killing power plays for Edmonton. If the Oilers play that way in game 7 they will be dangerous. Their trap and physical play will keep your speed guys in check and put more preeure on your defense which is average at best. I really think that your coach should be more respective of his opponent. Putting the Champaigne on ice before the game in the oppositions house is pretty lame. Over confidence can be harmful to ones dreams of drinking from Lord Stanleys Cup.

By the way when the Oilers fans were raising the roof in the last 3 minutes of last nights game ..where was that noise meter? :blink: :confused: . OLNs marketing of the game is funny. Guess they have to boost sales in the low market areas. Guess thats business . :wave:

I still think the Canes will pull game seven out but I wouldn't put my money down on it. :wave:

Edited by Hills Bro

It looks as though the Flyers castoffs on the ‘Canes have brought w/ them the Flyers playoff curse too. This doesn’t look good b/c the Oilers are the younger team and w/ a game 7…

This will be tough…hope the “canes can pull it out…

I’ll have to get out my Bob Clarke & Craig McTavish voodoo dolls and see if the curses & situation can be switched…

:evilshades:

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance:

'Canes Win!

Flyers castoffs get a cup!!!!

Hope this makes Bob Clarke choke on his cheesesteak!

WOOHOO!!!!!!

:dance:

Caniacs given their due credit

Hurricanes' Stanley Cup victory big for North Carolina

June 20, 2006

By Drew Silverman

SportsTicker Staff Writer

RALEIGH, North Carolina (Ticker) - North Carolina may have been first in flight, but it sure did take its time in getting atop the sports world.

However, the Tar Heel State finally got its day in the sun Monday, when the Carolina Hurricanes posted a 3-1 triumph over the Edmonton Oilers to capture the Stanley Cup title for the first time in franchise history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yes No

Yes No

Yes No

It also was the first professional sports championship for the state of North Carolina, where the Hurricanes moved from Hartford prior to the 1997-98 season.

Hockey originally was slow to catch on in Carolina, but now the "Caniacs" have burst onto the scene with a passionate dedication to what they call "redneck hockey."

"I think when we arrived here in Raleigh, I think the game was really embraced here and obviously we had a lot of work to do," Hurricanes defenseman Glen Wesley said. "But just incredible fans."

The Hurricanes were at their best in front of the home fans this season, going 31-8-2 here during the regular season and 10-4 in the playoffs.

"Our fans have been tremendous all season long," said rookie goaltender Cam Ward, who won the Conn Smythe Trophy. "Once again, you saw tonight how loud and loyal they can be. Us as a team deserve it, but the fans truly deserve it also."

The Hurricanes fans certainly saved their best for last, standing and screaming the entire way in Game Seven as their team made history.

"I don't think they sat down. I don't think they stopped yelling," coach Peter Laviolette said. "They are Caniacs."

The impact of home fans cannot be understated in Games Sevens - both in the NHL and in professional sports in general.

Home teams in the NHL improved to 75-44 all-time in Game Sevens, including an impressive 12-2 mark in the deciding game of the Stanley Cup Finals. In fact, when combining the NBA and Major League Baseball, home teams have taken 18 consecutive Game Seven victories in the final round.

"The fans were so unbelievable throughout the whole playoffs," first-time Cup winner Bret Hedica