GreaseSpot Cafe

Duststorm in Arizona

topoftheworld

In case you missed it, here are some links for pictures of last nights duststorm which blew through town. We are accustomed to some form or another of these things, part of something called monsoons around here, but this one was pretty awe inspiring. It reached 3000 feet into the air and was amazing to see coming at you.

Phoenix Duststorms

post-126-1149702388_thumb.jpg

I'm still looking for pictures taken from a helicopter news crew which stayed north of the storm and followed it as it swept over Sky Harbor airport and swallowed up downtown Phoenix. The wall of dust extended from the east edge of the valley straight west to the other end, moving north at about 40-50 MPH.

Now I've got to wash the car, darn it!

It actually looks worse than it is. Once it hits you, you are dealing with an uncomfortable situation for an hour or so. Visibilty can be reduced from a 1/4 mile to zero. If you are outside, you have to deal dust in the eyes, and over anything else exposed. Otherwise, it's like being in a fog bank. The most damage would come from the winds that push it along. Carrying an umbrella is an exercise in fultility.

The worse of it is when rain comes along during or immediately afterwards. This is not like nice, cleansing, refreshing spring rain-oh no. This is like having globs of mud pouring from the sky-or at least it seems that way. Makes all the cars look they just went four wheeling. Lines for car washes after one of those fun days go for blocks.

After one of these sessions, everything in the house feels dusty-whether I can see it or not. Keeps my feather-duster busy. I'm thinking of tying one to the cat's tail and letting her go to town. :biglaugh:

Toppie,

Omigosh!! We don't get them quite that bad here up north. We had lightning last night. We had some rain this morning. The monsoons are coming......the rain is needed, but I HATE the lightning!! It means my husband has to go up in the mountains to fix television towers. :asdf::asdf::asdf: It makes me nervous this time of year. :blink:

Those pics were taken near where I live in Phoenix. I live on the 2nd floor and sit next to a big sliding glass door. I have fun watching the dust storms move in. We are about 1/2 mile from the big buildings uptown and once this storm hit, I could no longer see them when I looked out! The winds were 50 mph the local news said.

The video from the first link is now defunct.

No accidents were reported (at least that I heard), except for one fellow who somehow wound up in a mini canal-only up to his hubcaps. People are used to these storms and slow down.

Now we're back to our normal blue skys and 105 plus temps. Oh, joy.

Ah yes, the "monsoon" in Phoenix. The joke is that Phoenix gets 5 inches of rain a year, and it's on a Tuesday.... {rimshot goes here}

I've never seen a dust storm come on quite like that, but the day I saw a dust devil sever a tree limb off a mature tree right in front of me (while everything else around it was calm), I figured it was time to go inside!