GreaseSpot Cafe

Anyone coming to Laconia for Motorcycle Week?

ChasUFarley

I love the sound of a chopper in the distance as it approaches. That means I might catch a glimpse.

At my house, we hear it HUNDREDS of times a day - especially this week (and next)!

Around here there are no noise ordinances.

There are no helmet laws.

It's COMMON to have baffle-less pipes roar past your house or pass you on the road. There's no such thing as a quiet Harley. This is Harley country - the people who ride the little rice burners (Ninjas, etc.) tend to drive in packs - the serious Harley dudes don't really put up with them.

Every now and then I get the notion that I want a bike until I hear some horror story about people getting killed on them who were just out for a ride - something nasty happens. Then I think I prefer having all the metal of a car around me... a really big car, thank you. But I still appreciate a nice bike - dreamin' is free.

I don't even hide my love of looking at them when one pulls up beside me at a light. I just look it over until it's gone. And will roll my window down and turn off my radio so I can hear it for as long as possible.

My dad went down on one with me as a passenger. I got banged up and it scared me. But then hubby had a Norton Commando when I met him. Black satin finish. It was gorgeous.

Some of the coolest people I've met were Harley drivers.

But I feel safer with metal all around me also.

We use to hear trains afar off when we lived in Illinois a few years ago and that was nice, but harley's...oh yeah! :love3:

It was a 1969 Norton Commando 750 (I asked).

Same time frame for me, as well.

She and I were dating in 1970 (thereabouts). High school sweet hearts.

I remember asking her dad if I could take it out for a spin.

Took me a coupla years to figure out why he doubled up in laughter!!

(NOT the *brightest spark plug* in the engine here). :biglaugh:

(But it was a nice bike!!) :spy:

Today is the last day of the event --

Here's some photos from a local forum that I also haunt... (this first pic was taking from a balloon...)

187bikersonly.jpg

176IM000491.JPG

724141-4133b_IMG.JPG

97Lots_of_Bikes.jpg

97100-0074_IMG_2.JPG

And here's the world's fastest lawnmower!

847DSC00684.JPG

I think this is the run that many bikers to each year to raise money for POW/MIA organizations:

948DSCF0032.JPG

92DSC00888.jpg

92DSC00884B.jpg

I have a friend who races at Loudon and I go up there to watch the races. Next time I go will probably be weekend of July 29-30.

I tend to stay away from rallies because they're so crowded, but I like Americade at Lake George. There, if you plan accordingly, you can test ride various brands of bikes as well as attend the Tour Expo.

On Thursday June 9, it was raining for most of the day but I was able to test ride the Moto Guzzi Breva and Kawasaki Ninja 650R. Day before, I test rode the Kawasaki ZX-14 (perhaps the fastest consumer production bike right now) and the Victory Touring Cruiser. Nice bikes.

New Hampshire is such a beautiful state. We went up there a couple of months ago and tried to get into Smuggler's Notch but it was closed due to ice and snow still up there.

chaz

there were alot of crashes this year huh? too bad

Yes, I work at the hospital in Laconia and we had the helicopter ambulance in there 4 times in just 7 hours - that was on Friday.

I was behind someone Sunday who just hit the soft shoulder and tipped his bike - it was brand new! He was wearing a helmet, leather jacket, and boots - he was outfitted correctly. He was, I would guess in his late 60's - I think he had started to fall asleep in the heat, because I had observed him swerving a bit before he hit the side of the road. I was several car lengths behind him, and immediately pulled over, ran to him, and got him up. He was okay - I think he was more embarassed that a woman was dusting him off than anything else. His bike still ran, so he got back on it... I think it spooked me more than it did him!

I have a friend who races at Loudon and I go up there to watch the races. Next time I go will probably be weekend of July 29-30.

I tend to stay away from rallies because they're so crowded, but I like Americade at Lake George. There, if you plan accordingly, you can test ride various brands of bikes as well as attend the Tour Expo.

On Thursday June 9, it was raining for most of the day but I was able to test ride the Moto Guzzi Breva and Kawasaki Ninja 650R. Day before, I test rode the Kawasaki ZX-14 (perhaps the fastest consumer production bike right now) and the Victory Touring Cruiser. Nice bikes.

New Hampshire is such a beautiful state. We went up there a couple of months ago and tried to get into Smuggler's Notch but it was closed due to ice and snow still up there.

Depending on how you drive to Loudon, then you may very well drive right by my house to get there! I live on one of the major routes for people coming in from ME and MA to get there. I will PM you and perhaps we can meet - I would love to meet you! (And any other 'Spotters who may be trekking thru!)

Its good to see the pics of old Weir(d)s beach..i havent been up there in about 10 years when i set up a booth in my friends yard which is directly across from the beach in the first Photo. I made about 2 or 3 months wages that week, but it was way too many people and a wee bit too crazy for me-so I go up to the lakes during more peaceful times, usually over near the Ossippee area or visit my sister in the Whites now.

Sorry to hear about the crashes--its one of the downers of every year that I guess goes with the territory--They have signs to watch out for motorcyclists as far south as the Mass Pike