GreaseSpot Cafe

Thankfullness And Pride

Shellon

This last weekend, my 9 year old and I traveled to my oldest daughter's home to celebrate her 23rd birthday and just spend the weekend with she and her boyfriend, Charlie.

After some car trouble, we arrived without incident, happily recieved by my very pregnant (7 months) daughter.

After we settled in, my daughters and I shared some supper and then my girls began to just hang out together. The elder one was giving advise to her little sister about boys and all that "ew groosss" stuff and I just hung back to listen.

I was overcome with joy and pride in my children, just watching them enjoy each others company.

I have no sisters, and understand that there is a special bond therein. It's quite a beautiful thing to behold to this mama.

We spent Samantha's birthday shopping for needed baby things and it was her sister she asked for advise on which crib she should get, as well as all others baby items. It was each other they consulted as they tried on clothes, shoes and held up cute tiny baby clothes.

I was struck with the reality that many siblings don't get along, don't spend time together, perhaps don't like each other.

They argued, they laughed, they cried, they talked long after I went to bed. When we went bowling, it was the two of them aqainst Charlie and me.

icon_smile.gif:)--> They kicked out butts, this pregnant person and adolescent person.

When it was time to leave, their parting was a struggle.

The next time we are together will be in the labor/delivery room as we welcome another member into our crew of love and pride. This baby is a boy, his name will be Charles.

As my oldest daughter and I now enter this new part of our relationship, we'll be able to share motherhood. I can't stand it, I'm so excited about adding that to our lives.

I realized that my children, for whatever reason, are very strong women, very outspoken, very generous and kind. I knew that, I think, but watching it was heartwarming. I credit their late father for much of that.

But I am well aware that in the last eight years (almost) since his death, it's been just me as their adult influence and I musta done something right.

I'm excited as my oldest enters a new and exciting stage in her life; motherhood, at the same time as my youngest enters her own new and exciting stages. What a ride we are on!!

I don't know exactly what my point here is, except that I wanted to brag and share.

I'm proud of my children, having risen from some rough struggles. They are very wonderful people, in spite of, or maybe because of those struggles.

I'm even looking forward to the next bump in the road.

I'm a lucky, blessed mama!

Shelbert, darn girl! You made me teary-eyed! You have many wonderful reasons to brag. You have a beautiful family, and you are an awesome mom! It sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. I feel proud with you.icon_smile.gif:)-->

I know some of my best days have been spent just hanging with my sis. I love her LOTS! I just wish she and I lived closer.

ahhh, the sibling gig,

its oh so wonderful, I agree.

I wish I was old enough to be a grandma icon_wink.gif;)-->

I know you will enjoy the whole thing!!!

The last time all my kidletts got together, a Thanksgiving week-end, I also got to watch the sibling thingy.

My youngest and my oldest have a 15 year spread. Once my youngest said, "well Jason isn't really my brother is he?"

He didn't understand same mom, different dad.

Anyway they never lived together, this guy drops in and visits and leaves. But this last time they were together, well it was different. Fun watching the older brother PLAY with the younger one, hear them talk, see them communicate....well it gets better and better Shell. And soon your baby girl will be an AUNTIE!!! always fun.

As I watch my kids hit adulthood and communicate not only with me but with each other I see a different person in them.

"Life is a hiway, I want to ride it all night long"

enjoy these moments Shell,

maybe even keep a journal...

xxxooo

suzie

My brother and I always got along and after he graduated from h.s. we got along even so much better. I love getting to spend time with him! We're so different, yet so much the same in some ways.

My mom is so ready to be a grandmother and neither one of us is giving her much hope on that happening anytime soon. Especially since I just got divorced.

It's so sweet, Shellon, to hear about your wonderful daughters and you deserve to be proud for what a great mom you've been! Thank you for this post. Made my day! icon_smile.gif:)-->