GreaseSpot Cafe

In light of the Interfaith Dialogue Discussion

Having read quite a bit on Kaballah, prior to my studies via Chassidism (which are by no means even close to complete), I understand how the author came to his conclusions and I think there is accuracy within them, though I am not sure the specific terminology with refrence to Ayin is correct. However, I also think arguing over terminology is what has caused so many wars between religions throughout history.

I believe God made us in His image. I also agree that we as humans make God on our own image, as it is the only way we can begin to understand God. It is our point of reference. The 10 seifrot (again man making God in our image) is used to try to help us understand God and to understand how ascend and decend (how to ascend toward Godliness and how to bring that Godliness down to earth). And yes, I agree that our actions affect the universe and the universe ours.

The man as a microcosim point, I am unsure of, as I am not sure I understand the point being made there. Again, could simply be an issue of terminology. What I have come to understand through my studies, and it is also a conclusion I had drawn BEFORE I started my studies, is that our souls are placed in these bodies as part of a learning process. We are born and born again until we have obtained the level of wisdom we have been sent to gain.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Carl, as far as I know from reading, Internet and conversing with Wiccans, the whole 'old religion' theory about Wicca is out of date. Most now know it was started in the 1940s.Ronald Hutton'sTriumph of the Moon, a history of Wicca, argues that there were no actual pagan survivals ( Gerald Gardner, founder of Wicca claimed he was initiated by a surviving coven). Hutton did confirm that 'Old Dorothy' did live in the area in which Gardener 's coven lived.

Recently, though, others are beginning to question Hutton's conclusions, and I suspect another book will come out one day that will excite the pagan world..

IMO most Wiccans think Wicca is a new religion based on pre Christian European myth, gods etc. And some believe the goddess is at work. And some believe the Aeon of the Christian fish(Pisces) is waning, and the time of the water bearer(Aquarius)is related to the revived goddess.

And some believe...

Here is another article I found interesting on several levels.

First, I found the parallel between Moses and Jesus interesting. While here on earth, Jesus taught and reproved the spiritual leaders, as well as individuals. But it is my understanding that spritually, Jesus is our "public defender" before God.

Also, I found the encouragement regarding giving others the benefit of a doubt and seeing the positives in them refreshing.

IMO most Wiccans think Wicca is a new religion based on pre Christian European myth, gods etc. And some believe the goddess is at work. And some believe the Aeon of the Christian fish(Pisces) is waning, and the time of the water bearer(Aquarius)is related to the revived goddess.
this tickles my ears. This IS the dawning of the Age of Aquarius. :biglaugh:

Actually, Carl, as far as I know from reading, Internet and conversing with Wiccans, the whole 'old religion' theory about Wicca is out of date.
Plenty of Wiccan opinions to go around! I've been reading a lot of Raven Grimassi (why do Wiccans so love the name "Raven"?) who makes a good case for pagan/witchcraft traditions surviving into modern times.

I've been reding Raven Grimassi, too. He is a frequent poster on Mysticwicks and I was impressed with how he handled critical posters, so I bought one of his books. I plan to buy more.

I think his name is a 'craft' name.

Hey, I wanna craft name.

Bramble, thank you for the perspective on Wiccan dates. In Fernley Nevada (not too far from me) the family of a deceased soldier is trying to get the VA to put the Wiccan symbol next to their son's name. There is a monument to fallen U.S.Soldiers and there is Christian and Jewish symbols. But they won't put the pentagram next to this man's name because the VA doesn't recognize Wiccan. It's been in the news. Too bad this pilot gave his life for our freedoms but his freedoms are not respected by the very government he served. :(

I've been reding Raven Grimassi, too. He is a frequent poster on Mysticwicks and I was impressed with how he handled critical posters, so I bought one of his books. I plan to buy more.

I think his name is a 'craft' name.

Hey, I wanna craft name.

What I like about him is that he at least makes an attempt to document what he believes, rather than just claiming that some fairy toild him.

Yeah, I get that it's a "craft" name. :biglaugh:

Why not "Bramble" for a craft name? :spy:

Carl, there is a thread on Open forum about the Wiccan soldier. I try to update it now and then, and so do some others.

Hmm, Bramble..is it fancy enough? Don't I need something like Bramble Moonbeam?

I just don't feel it. Heehee ( I know folks are very serious about picking names sometimes.)

I have Raven Grimassi's Well Worn Path cards/book, they are quite lovely.

BrambleMoon WolfRaven SilverThistle :evilshades:

Yeah, some folks do take those names pretty seriously. <_<

Some of the problem that I have with pagan/Wiccan authors at times is that many of them seem to practice a variation of "the truth needs no defense". Dorothy Morrison did a talk on moon magic a few years ago in Omaha. I asked what I thought were some respectful questions and was dismissed rather rudely. Grimassi was here last year and was happy to engage the token skeptic (me) in intelligent conversation.