GreaseSpot Cafe

Take Time To Look For Bikes

oldiesman

My little sister has ridden for nearly 30 years, writes a safety column for her club, etc. She finally had her accident last year, and hers was as the clip except, thank God, she was launched over the car and didn't slam her body into it. No road rash, as she always wear full protective clothing, pads and all. But her pelvis was quite smashed, broken in 7 places.

She's riding again. Stubborn girl, her.

As you know from my posts last week, there was an annual motorcycle rally in the area. There were also many MVAs, including ten fatalities. Out of all of the fatalities, it was noted that in NONE of the accidents was it the fault of the motorcyclist - it was always the drivers of the other vehicles involved in the MVA that were found to be at fault!

Yup,

That's pretty much how my husband was hit a few years back. He was out of work 6 months as a result.

Thank God he is alive! People just aren't trained to see bikes.

The other thing to be aware of is insurance for bikers, at least in our state differs from auto insurance. They are considered recreational vehicles and it pays out differently.

Coup

Ya know, I had a bike for a couple of years. A road bike that is. Had lots of dirt bikes, but of course, thatsa different story. But as a rider around Portland, Oregon, I never ever trusted any damned car pulling up to a stop sign like that. To me, all cars were "suspect" of not seeing me, and when they pulled up to a stop sign when I was coming along the more major thoroughfare, I was ready for 'em.

And it was kind of weird of me to think that way, because as a Wayfer, I was not supposed to "think negatively", and "fear" that someone would jump out in front of me like that. But, I did it anyway, and, come to think of it, I think it was Howard Allen whose opinion on safe driving gave me "license" to think that way. Howard was really big on just plain "thinking" when it came to driving habits. He was very "non spiritual" when it came to alot of things. Pragmatic and practical. I had heard him one time talking about safe driving habits, and, he made sense to me, saying that, "yeah, God'll protect you, but he also expects you to use your damned brain!"

And, I never had a real wreck. I did ride one day when it had "rained ice" and the streets were "glassy", and at about five miles an hour, the whole thing just quietly slid out from under me, and it was funny. A Suzuki 550 cc two stroke, Ram Air. Sweet bike. Rode 'er to the Rock and back in 1978. From Oregon and back. Nice time, that. Even stopped in Sturgis, SD for the big biker party and rode down main street while being jeered by Harley Riders. And I just waved and smiled. But I also didn't stop to hang out or anything. Figgered the Rock was a better place to "hang out" with a serious "rice grinder" bike like that....

Oh yeah. I also rode every day for about 2 years. Commuted on the Eastshore Freeway in the Bay Area monday through friday and rode the twistys on the weekends. About 12,000 miles worth. It was a great experience and I never went down. The two scary close calls were hitting a patch of diesel fuel and feeling the bike twist and sink underneath me while I was going about 40 and a stupid Volvo driver cutting around my right side as I started to make a right turn.

I finally sold the big bike. I had a good run, but nobody's luck lasts forever. Now I've got a little 1964 Honda Super 90 that I fixed up from a pile of scrap. I take it out for a spin when I feel the urge.

Now that you've mentioned the little patch of diesel, I am reminded of a time when I was riding that Suzuki with a gal on back along a windy Oregon mountain road, over by Estacada. I was into a turn going about forty or fifty, when right at the apex of the turn, I hit a patch of shiny black ice. Instantly, I began to slide out, but then I slid off of the patch, and the tires gripped right away, and then we were thrown back up right and almost too far at that. BUt, we made it thank God! I guess that was my closest call.

And Jim, you mentioned your little 90 cc Honda. Well, I went and bought a Honda mini 50 for the kids, and we all ride it from time to time. I even rode it in the Haines, Alaska, Fourth Of July parade with a ridiculously large red white and blue Uncle Sam top hat on my head. And being a big guy, it was said that I looked like the proverbial "bear on a tricycle". People laughed alot... :dance:

A Suzuki 550 cc two stroke, Ram Air. Sweet bike. Rode 'er to the Rock and back in 1978. From Oregon and back. Nice time, that. Even stopped in Sturgis, SD for the big biker party and rode down main street while being jeered by Harley Riders. And I just waved and smiled. But I also didn't stop to hang out or anything. Figgered the Rock was a better place to "hang out" with a serious "rice grinder" bike like that....

That made my night Jonny, thanks! Mine was metallic blue, remember CCI lubrication? Geez, the stories I could tell of Me, God and that bike! Learned about "that still small voice" on that motorcycle, saved my life too many times.....car drivers are oblivious, especially now with cell phones (i don't ride lately...maybe someday, out in the unpopulated wilderness, i do fantasize about that).

I used to get looks from Harley riders at stop lights and then leave them in the dust when the light changed..LOL. Always kinda wished i got the 3 cylinder 750, that'd really show them ;)

Ram Air rocked! That was my WOWmobile for two years back to back, sleet, rain, snow...didn't matter. I was up there with Dmiller in Duluth, riding to work in 75 below (real feal) going to work at 4:30 a.m. on two inches of packed snow....good lord, I'm still alive! Good Lord, Thank You Jesus!

Ram Air rocked! That was my WOWmobile for two years back to back, sleet, rain, snow...didn't matter. I was up there with Dmiller in Duluth, riding to work in 75 below (real feal) going to work at 4:30 a.m. on two inches of packed snow....good lord, I'm still alive! Good Lord, Thank You Jesus!

FAF -- When were you here? PM me?? :)

FAF -- When were you here? PM me?? :)

79, I think i went to see you play at Grandma's Saloon!? First time i heard "Rocky Top", there was a zither player that we witnessed to....kinda foggy....i might be wrong.

I clearly remember playing checkers on the tabletops at Grandma's.

Did "manifestations" on the lift bridge one night with my wow brothers!

Crazy memories popping up, but i have to go to work in about 3 hours, so it's night night for me :)

Edited by frickafrack

Hey Frick,

Cool about your Suzuki. Mine was metalic green. And I swear, I never had one single problem with that bike the two years I had her! And man she was fast, like you said. On the way through Montana, a friend with whom I rode (my BC in Portland, OR, at the time, not really a friend. In fact he was a rude bastage) had a Moto Guzzi 850 all set up for cafe racing. Any way, we had planned to "roll it out" one time, to see who was faster. Roll it out, you know, already in our highest gear, and just hitting the gas and going. Well, I was tacking around 5 g's at 70 mph, and he was tacking around 35 hundy at the same speed. And so, we gave eachother the nod and we were off. And I flat out left him in the dust cuz that bike of mine jumped so quick. And pretty soon, I topped out at 110 MPH, and my partner came roaring past right at that point. He topped out at 125 mph. And then, when we slowed to 55 just for grins, it seemed as if we could have gotten off and walked! And that was the last time I ever went that fast in my life as a matter of fact, let alone on that bike. Pretty hairy really. I remember thinking; "Gee what would happen if I had a blow out at this speed?" Well, the answer was that I probably woulda died...

They had that old church (in the west end of Duluth),

and lived downstairs in the basement (with their two daughters),

And turned the upstairs *sanctuary* into the *Uncle Harry Coffeehouse*

Joyful Noise performed there in either '78, or '79.

(I forget which now).

I'm not trying to be contrary (comes natural), but it seems to me, that bike was going way too fast for conditions. It appears to be a residential area, and at least in the US, the speed limit is generally 25 mph.

They had that old church (in the west end of Duluth),

and lived downstairs in the basement (with their two daughters),

Now Alice didn't LIVE in the restaurant, she lived in the church nearBY the restaurant...............

Edited by Sushi

I'm not trying to be contrary (comes natural), but it seems to me, that bike was going way too fast for conditions. It appears to be a residential area, and at least in the US, the speed limit is generally 25 mph.

Yes it is quite possible that the bike was going above the speed limit. Even so, the car should look twice and if there is a bike on the road, let the bike go first unless it's way way in the distance. Not being in such a hurry is far better than having an accident.

Lots of times when these things happen, the biker isn't going over the speed limit. But the driver just doesn't see the bike! Driver isn't thinking on driving but has his mind on things other than driving safely.

But that's why they tell us bikers to wear conspicuous clothing, have strong lighting, beep horns, to help lessen the chances. And use the SEE method to get out of jams (S=SURVEY, E=EVALUATE, E=EXECUTE.) Expect the worst and know what to do to get out of it, if you can. :)

Watch for bikes, and bikes should do the same. I was in a very compromising position today with a big semi on my arse. The semi was speeding and then a motorcyle pulled out in front of me. I almost pooped my pants. I wanted to knock that semi driver on the head, and the motorcylist didn't make it any easier by pulling out in front of me. :asdf:

Edited by Wayfer Not

Good point, wayfernot. I've been startled more than once by bikes suddenly zipping between me and the car or truck in the next lane on a freeway.

But I've had fewer problems with motorcycles than with bicycles. Almost every day I encounter them during rush hour, darting through a red light, darting in front of me with barely enough time for me to see them, riding two abreast on main city streets going 5 mph. God bless 'em for saving the environment and all that, but if you're gonna ride with the big dogs, get movin' or at least have the decency to ride on the edge of the road instead of in the middle.

The worst ones are the bicyclists I encounter in our lovely, extensive park system. Almost all the roads through the system have bike/hiking trails beside them. They're plenty wide enough for the "serious" bikers to be able to pass the casual bikers or the walkers/runners. But noooooooooooo, they have to ride on the curvy, narrow roads. I hate coming around a curve and yikes, suddenly there they are, in the middle of the road, going 10 mph in a 30 mph zone. You can't pass them and it's illegal to run them over.

If I were mean and evil, I'd take a broom handle with me and stick it out my window into their spokes. Good thing I'm not mean and evil. :who_me:

Here where i live, they (the lance armstrong wannabees) take up every lane

they "own" the traffic pattern come hell or high water

Do i hit 'em as they rudely block the road? wish

i could

my method of proper punishment is to give them bikers some coffee

on the fly with a few tack nails in their path of travel

we have "bike lanes" for the bikers (bicyclists) to travel on, yet they insist on using the main road for the method of travel.

personally i think the cyclists want everyone to see the bright and colorful garb they wear, the protective headgear, etc.

if you give tack strips to them in coffee cups, and toss out hot coffee thru your car window in a general spray pattern they tend to move out of your way

they really do begin to lear that your car is bigger than the the helmit they wear