GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI never gave nothing to the Tin Man...

T-Bone

• 2 years later...

While listening to a few of the Grease Spot Radio episodes lately – I was impressed with how important it is for anyone that comes to GSC to sort things out for themselves – and that's a big project, an on-going process - needing courage, strength, and a gazillion other things – but most notably [in my humble opinion] tapping the creative and critical resources of our brains.

To sort things out for ourselves – is my shorthand for the overall healing/strengthening process - which has a lot of sub-processes. Listing those [which list is by no means exhaustive or in a certain order] which I think are a big deal: figuring out your own viewpoint in life [your philosophy], analyzing TWI doctrine and practices to determine validity, determining the extent of TWI's impact on the way you process information and function [socially, emotionally, etc.], reviewing personal experiences of TWI – identifying positive and negative aspects and suspect areas, assessing damages/weaknesses/needs and forming solutions.

"…Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have…" by America. Besides that verse having the classic double-negative no-no - I think it describes one aspect of my experience with TWI. I've always had a brain – for as long as I can remember - before, during and after TWI…Last night in Chat we talked a little about Momentus. I said "Why does the next great truth always have to be in a class?" Maybe this is a little too broad to assume but I think most people want to experience life – to enjoy living. I don't think you can learn that in a book [even the Bible – eeeeessssh oh my – don't believe I said that!], or a class, organization, etc. Reading a book will not enable you to ride a bike. I learned to ride on a girl's 28 inch bike – the sloping V frame let me get on/off and stand while pedaling. I'm a Christian – was before TWI and afterwards remain so. The one good aspect I can think about PFAL was that it got me into reading the Bible. In keeping with my above analogy – PFAL was like putting training wheels on my thinking. Looking back I now view some of PFAL as being screwed up. What if – after taking PFAL, I used my critical thinking skills – identified the good and the bad – and then moved on with my own self-directed study of the Bible – sans the training wheels. PFAL isn't a shortcut to experiencing life or learning the Bible – it can shortchange your thinking-power if you let it.

I love to read, love to learn and enjoy experiencing life! And I don't believe it can be handed to you on a silver platter – like in a class, or by direct revelation [whatever that is]. If I may refer to Proverbs 2: 3 & 4 [The NET Bible] which talks about finding a knowledge of God – even in such a lofty and intellectual endeavor as that - hard work is implied, "indeed, if you call out for understanding, and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver, and search for it like hidden treasure…" I notice if my calling out for understanding does not get it – I'm to raise my voice – increase my efforts. I am to take a very active role in the process of learning.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts on the healing/strengthening process or as I call it "sorting things out" after you left TWI.

:eusa_clap:Very good! T-Bone :thinking:

I called it unraveling the bowl of spaghetti.

I needed to go back and remember who I was before twi...

- what did I like to do? what was I good at?

- what did I hate to do? what was I lousy at?

- why did twi catch my interest? what was missing in my life?

- why did twi hold my interest? why did I stay involved after my interest wained?

- what did I really believe in? what did I BS-to-get-by on?

Then, I needed to figure out my place in the universe now...

- Family? -- Thank goodness they were forgiving. I was certainly a pompous jerk to most of them.

- Friends? -- I cherish the old ones. we have a history. New ones are hard to come by.

- Trust? -- Nope. Not in organized religion. Never again. Not much in people, either.

- Belief? -- Maybe. Still unsure what I think of God. Now I just watch and think a lot.

- Happiness? -- Yes, I think so. There are ups. There are downs. But they are all mine.

That led me to "What the heck do I want to do now?"

- hobbies: creative things that make me feel like I've accomplished something that others can enjoy

- house: YES!!! my very own! (well, me and the bank) -- paint, decorate, build, fix, mow, plant -- I love it!

- job: much more freedom of type, hours, etc.

- school: finally going back to get that long-put-off degree

I'm still putting pieces together and filling holes in all of this... but I've come an awful long way in six!!! (wow, has it really been that long?!!)

Great post. It's amazing that my own identity was so wrapped up in TWI that I have to ask myself these same questions now, even after 2 years out. I like how you organized the questions: past, present, and future. Gives me a way to think about these ideas instead of just randomly.

One of the things I discovered after getting out of twi and the twi mind set is:

Life will have it's high and low points.

I have to take responsibility for my own actions and/or in-actions and not just "blame the advesary" when things go wrong.

Some people will like you and some will even love you for who you actually are (not who you might be pretending to be and/or trying to be to please someone else).

God still love us. twi is not bigger that God. twi can not tell God who to bless (or not to bless) and/or how to bless them.

Our families are important, to include our extended families.

It is nice to have friends at work.

It is nice to have friends who enjoy the same activities that you do.

It nice being able to choose how I want to spend my time (when not at work).

We do not have to decline job opprotunities based upon an outside influences (such as twi).

Owning a hme is good.