GreaseSpot Cafe

1980 "2nd wave wows"

Georgio Jessio

In 1980, the wow program promised "4,000 for the 40th".

Catchy slogan, not fulfilled. In an effort to make good on the slogan, TWI sent out a "2nd wave" of WOWs who went out from October to August (instead of August to August)

Anyone here a member of that unique group? Especially "The North East Region"?

I was in Mass with Lourdes Cordero, Joyce Guimareas, Koreen Watrous, Greg Follete, Bob Delude and many others.

Yeah, he's right ... I went out WOW to Chicago in 1980-81, and it was the year of the Outreach Cities, with Takit coming around.

The 40th Anniversary was on October 3, 1982, and so "4,000 for the Fortieth" was the theme. In May-August of 1983, I was assigned as my in-residence Corps job to work with the WOW Coordinator ... as I recall, there were actually about 3,200 WOWs that went that year of 1982-83....

DogLover

Well it was 25 years ago and I was 10 so who remembers? haha.

The year of the 2nd wave WOWs was 80-81. We went out in Octboer. My mom went WOW three times so i get those years confused.

I do remember there were not 4,00 wows for the 40th and that there were a lot of drop outs among the 3200. TWI were selling the goal so hard that people who went to ROA with no intention of going WOW signed up on the spot. Craziness.

Anyway, I was hoping to find some 2nd wave wows from 80-81. My first wow year.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, he's right ... I went out WOW to Chicago in 1980-81, and it was the year of the Outreach Cities, with Takit coming around.

The 40th Anniversary was on October 3, 1982, and so "4,000 for the Fortieth" was the theme. In May-August of 1983, I was assigned as my in-residence Corps job to work with the WOW Coordinator ... as I recall, there were actually about 3,200 WOWs that went that year of 1982-83....

DogLover

I knew a few people who were in Chicago that year, including a former girlfriend.

I was in Nebraska at the time