GreaseSpot Cafe

A new drug for kids

Shellon

I'm a probation officer. the kids I deal with come from very broken homes with poverty ignorance disease and violence. they don't even consider marijuana a drug. they see their adult Uncles and Aunts with pounds of Meth and Heroin and Cocaine. some have huffed carpet cleaner and air-freshners. several do the "hillbilly heroin" and pain meds. Acid, Shrooms, selling their body for drugs. A few have tried to take their own lives and several have been sexually molested by people in the community. I've picked them up out of the gutter at 1:00 in the morning because they drank themselves to unconsciousness. Some develop anti-social tendencies, others reach adutlhood and get diagnoses with Borderline Personality Disorder. Others have fetal alcohol effects. over 50% will never finish High School and their families don't care. And those are just the juveniles. The adults just go to jail but the juveniles never had a chance. I'm sorry to just vent here. We do what we can do. In three years in this field-of-work I've had one juvenile thank me for trying to help.

Carl,

Its all because the govt. doesn't do enough to help them. We have failed in our failure to educate. What we need are anti-drug programs to teach them that they are really hurting themselves by huffing carpet cleaner and hillbilly heroin. I had never even heard of hillbilly heroin so if I'm in the dark how can we expect the youth to know any differently? What more proof do we need? The govt. needs to institute programs and institute them NOW before another innocent victim succombs to air-freshners.

Then again.. there's something to be said for Darwinism. Do we really want these people procreating?

sudo

"The discovery comes at a time when teenagers are increasingly experimenting with legal drugs such as OxyContin, widely known as "hillbilly heroin," and Vicodin, often bought online or taken from medicine cabinets, even before trying marijuana or alcohol, health officials say."

Hey Sudo,

I never heard anyone call OxyContin "hillbilly heroin" either until I read the article in the first post by Shellon. I did have a kid who was really into Vicodin and some other medical painkillers of which the name escapes me. I've never used that nick name myself nor have I ever heard anyone us it.

As for these people procreating?...no I don't. But they do. And you have given me something to think about.

God Bless,

Carl