any more than this you would need to post more info

who is your internet service provider

check with them first

then if no help

post your system info

connection type-high speed or dialup

i expect high speed

if so...

control panel-network connections-choose the connection you use to connect to the internet-right click-click properties-scroll down to-internet protocol (TCP/IP)-click properties-

check-obtain an IP address automatically

check-obtain DNS server addresses automatically

under the Alternate Configuration Tab

check-automatic private IP address

http://www.download.com/TweakNow-RegCleane...tml?tag=lst-0-2

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

this last link is a last resort for this post...because all your info stored for websites will have to reentered-name and password-although if you remeber them-no problem-windows may remember them if you have windows set to remember your passwords

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

a very effecient cleaning tool

for ccleaner be sure to scan for issues and fix them all

Edited by dancing

It sounds like your problem is with secure sites in which case, your isp will be of no help. The bad news is, there are a gazillion different things that can cause that. Check the obvious first. Your machine was recently compromised. So check the date and time...make sure it isn't set to some bogus date as this would cause site certificates to not work. If all is well there, then click start, point to run, and enter sfc /scannow. If sfc finds any corrupted files, you will need your windows cd, so have it ready. When finished, reboot. After rebooting, click start, point to run, and enter regsvr32 softpub.dll. After you get the OK dialogue box, reboot. Then try to visit a secure site.

If you still have problems, there are a bunch of other files that may need re-registered. Let me know, and I'll post them.

If all else fails, you may try a repair or reinstall if IE 6.

Or you could say the he11 with Micro$oft and install free-bsd. :)

Rick

is there anyway (i hope i hope) i can back to the settings i had in security options before i changed all of them to default ?

Yep, use system restore back to before you did the changes Excie. That will take you back to where you were before you changed them.

The error msg you got just meant your browser couldn't reach the website, no DNS means No Domain Server, which simply means you couldn't connect to it. I'd say a router was down between your computer and their site or they had it down for changes to be made.

You may want to consider getting a new browser too. IE is worthless and catches more trojans and viruses than any of the other browsers. I've been using Opera for years now and never had anything hurt me. I found it to be much more secure.

Umm .. Blue Colored Man .. most would be REALLY blue in they had to try to surf in lynx...tab, tab, tab, tab, to where ya wanna go. LOL. Ahh, the good ole days of lynx, veronica and archie! Then I got rid of the dumb term and modem and got a real computer. Then I was forced to learn windows, much harder than Unix, Linux, or freeBSD was for me. (...and find my mouse which was securely hiding under a couch cushion since I'd never had to use it before.)

i ran sfc /scannow and nothing happened ? where should i look for the report ?

also, every time i try to come on the internet (including replying here, and i'm already here) it's saying to "try again" since i'm not connected or something, like i should work offline

but when i say "try again," then i'm here

also, every time i try to come on the internet (including replying here, and i'm already here) it's saying to "try again"
:blink: maybe you shouldn't be trying that
but when i say "try again," then i'm here
is this some sorta out of body experience?

Just trying to help ... buy a new computer please ...

But really, I wish I cared ... :evilshades:

Meet me in chat Excie. Let's try to get you walked thru system restore while in there. It will reboot you, but I can tell you what to do step by step as I do it (excecpt for the final confirm) on mine. You can then write it down and follow it once out of chat and get your computer reset to it's settings a few days ago.

ok BB thank you so much

i'll meet you in chat but let's fix it another day

i'm sweating like a pig (no AC) and i'm half lit

the biggest thing that's happening is i just can't check out when i want to buy something

this has never happened to me before

ok, you think about it

i'll meet you in chat, but only to have fun ;)

love you

dear rick, my date and time are fine

and i think i told you, i didn't get any bad messages from the thing you told me run

thank you ALL

dancing

jim

rick

bb

and all my friends out in cyber land

sheesh excie - just reformat the whole computer..only takes about 4 hours with high speed if you have the sp2 disk free from microsoft.be sure to run windows update-express to get the security updates.

The only reason for the high speed internet disks is to possibly modify your modem and set up your email. You can export your email settings to a floppy and windows update may detect your modem if it's wired direct without a router. Don't do any surfing till all anti-virus and adaware stuff is in place.

namely

spywareblaster

spyguard

windows defender

spybot sd

adware se

or you can run a unix or linux based os

but some servers require ie to operate