GreaseSpot Cafe

The Word, The Word, The Word – Nothing but the Word

Belle

TWI was like a vacuum of scripture. We’ve talked on here many times about how isolated our reading and study was. It was the King James Version of the Bible or TWIt published material or nothing. Even today, TWIts are confined to TWIt material. How much can one learn from reading the same things over and over and over again?

Most churches are stuck in the same rut, for the most part. They actually use a lot of “outside” material such as “Forty Days of Purpose” that so many had programs around, but the main source/topic/what have you for all their study, teachings, classes, etc. is the Bible. I think this is why I have become even more respectful of Judaism, having learned so much from Abigail about how many other sources they study, how much discussion and debate is encouraged, how they encourage study and mastery of them.

The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Nag Hammadi Scrolls, the many other ancient manuscripts out there are ignored by the typical religion and it’s a shame, imo. When I first left TWI I was more intent on re-evaluating the teachings and I believe some of that was necessary to eliminate so much way-brain. But then I learned from another GSpotter about some great authors and more about these scrolls. Scrolls I had always been curious about but never “allowed” to even look into. Blasphemy! Sacrilegious! We don’t need anything but our King James and TWIt lit!

TWI was like a vacuum of scripture. We've talked on here many times about how isolated our reading and study was. It was the King James Version of the Bible or TWIt published material or nothing. Even today, TWIts are confined to TWIt material. How much can one learn from reading the same things over and over and over again?

Most churches are stuck in the same rut, for the most part. They actually use a lot of "outside" material such as "Forty Days of Purpose" that so many had programs around, but the main source/topic/what have you for all their study, teachings, classes, etc. is the Bible. I think this is why I have become even more respectful of Judaism, having learned so much from Abigail about how many other sources they study, how much discussion and debate is encouraged, how they encourage study and mastery of them...

I feel the same way - Abigail has turned me on to some neat stuff...The value of other viewpoints is priceless!!!!!! Because we are finite beings - no one individual has all the answers!!!!!!!! I have quite a few different versions of the Bible, commentaries and really enjoy coming to Grease Spot! I've got a different way of processing stuff now. Used to be in TWI - I would amass Scripture and TWI material to prove a TWI doctrine. Not exactly a researcher's attitude. Now I look at a lot of different things and try to keep a more open mind....Funny - I seem to be experiencing something I never did with TWI - I'm learning and growing!

Edited by T-Bone

How much can one learn from reading the same things over and over and over again?

Seeing these things in a different perspective, without even reading them can be learning.

Not so much the way, although there are things in there that vpw didn't even see, but more then that.

Even the bible or any material that can be read and remembered.

There are lots of things that show us the way that have been around.

People are a much underestimated resource, it is where Christ lives.

Edited by dancing