GreaseSpot Cafe

9/11

excathedra

Me too Excathy. There are times when I wonder if there will ever be a day that I don't think about it! But not everybody feels this way. Those that weren't in the thick of it, can't really understand what it was like. This is not to put them down or off - - but just a statement of what I believe. Those who weren't here can only imagine.

It's never far from my thoughts, either. I do agree with Krys about people who weren't there not really understanding what you all went through.

I wasn't there-I was in Baltimore working in one of our branch locations. I'd flown in on Monday. My memories are horror and fear. Baltimore was shut down for a day-nobody in-nobody out. Streets deserted. Fear from the branch manager for his family, who lived near Camp David and heard in one of the earlier reports that a plane had gone down there. Fear from all of us before that when we heard that another plane was on it's way to Washington-30 miles away. Crying myself to sleep that night with CNN on.

As one of the traveling public, I couldn't get a flight home to Dallas on Friday. My boss didn't understand why I didn't try to get out earlier, but I told her that I was there to do a job and had to see it through. Work was the best therapy, and helped keep the people around me focused. But truly, I only wanted to be home with familiar surroundings.

Went to BWI on Friday to check on flights-no go. Wound up driving to Atlanta on Friday and got on a plane to home Saturday. Flight attendents in tears. People somber yet ultra-patient. Airport atmosphere tense, but not one complaint. Dogs, guns, green uniforms everywhere. And it stayed that way for a long time. It was interesting-those first few months. I still had to fly for my job every week, and the airports were amazingly different. Almost everyone that flew during that time did it because they had too, not because they wanted too, and it made for a unique camaraderie. Everyone you met had a story, some heartbreaking.

It did seen that the farther west you went, the less people were affected. That was my impression, anyway. None of us could have any comprehension what it was like for New Yorkers. The media did what it could to bring us the story (and did a good job, IMO) but our stories pale in comparison to being there.

9/11

I thought we were all going to die.

we all did. in a sense.

life became like heaven will be... I think hard to explain.

we became so very human that day. as God wants and needs us to be for one another in the middle of evil it very self.

as the day and the sirens continued we all turned into a human race that had one mind ( find those who you love) god im choking really or help someone eles find theirs.

that was all that was left to do.

and wait to die. the rules died that day all that mattered was we wanted to live .. or at very least see and be with those we loved in life to die.

today

I have so little anxiety and I know it has to do with 9/11 many became anxious because of 9/11 .

not me now nothing is important as loving those you can and will .

I wont forget the eyes we all had of where is my daughter where is my son my husband my mom???

are you ok?

today i look and i remember our frail life that day how very helpless we felt ... everydayI remember and still ask are you ok ?

and it is still all that matters.

really .